What's the proper way to deal with a noisy neighbor ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BruceAZ, Oct 8, 2016.

1. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    It's pretty quite around here since most people are at work (we do have people who are staying home during the day)

i think one of my neighbors moved out and someone else moved in...

and shortly after it sounds like we are living next to a car repair shop now.. engine rev sound through out the day.. even when it's 10-11pm at night

this is the HOA area and there's a noise ordinance law by the city....maybe they didn't know that..

i'll not talk to them.. it might be a bad idea if they don't care and ended having to get the HOA or the police involved

so i was hoping maybe the other neighbors will call in about this instead ...so they don't know who called in

how would you approach this issue ?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Wish I knew Bruce. There is a neighbor living kitty corner to me. They have been in the house for years, have the wildest parties for any reason at all & a penchant for setting all fireworks off through the year, crying babies that never seem to grow up - I suspect she is doing "child care,' and a yappy Yorkshire terrier that they let outside for most of the night. It yaps continuously - I'm surprised the fox or coyotes haven't zeroed in on it. Endless people come out of the house. I just hunker down and hope someone else will call the cops.

After living here for 47 years I have discovered if you complain - they figure out who did it, and your life goes downhill from there. One pita lived at the end of the block,(for 20 years) had many dogs running loose, barking constantly and chasing folks. I talked to a passing police officer, and she said she'd speak to them about it. I have no idea what she said but, I got "egged" twice when out walking, and had some vandalism to my property.& stuff with her 3 kids for years afterward.

Much to my great joy, a few months ago, realized the house was vacant, left a lot of personal items in the yard. Neighbors said the house was in foreclosure. I don't wish anyone to lose their home. So far no one is buying the house (I hope her relatives don't move in) and it's quiet for however long that lasts.

I still can't believe it's safe to walk that way now. Still stress that somehow she will reappear. Her husband made good money and she worked, can't believe they didn't pay on the mortgage.

1 person likes this.
  3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    thank you for the advice diva :)

even though you have to provider your name, phone and address to report a disturbance, the police will not disclose those information though

plus there are 30+ neighbors within the radius that were affected by the noise

i doubt they will know who is who

I guess someone called in already.. so it's not as frequent anymore..

i think they might be renters..

4. bzombie

bzombie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Ohio
    Some people work and live different lives than others. I just mind my own business and our neighbors do the same. We all get along. Not going to ruin the relationship of neighbors over some noise. You dont know if something may happen to you when your needing to have lots of noise as construction on ur home or graduations, reunions etc. Why start anything and not ever have ur neighbors on ur side or care to see who pulls into your drive... They maybe the only ones who see a get away car or to see if anything is wrong with your house. It will be much better if you dont be bitter.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Years ago I had noisy neighbors. The hubby worked third shift so the Rock-n-Roll wannabes needed to learn how to be quiet. The first thing I did was learned what the laws were about noise. I learned I had a right to complain-so I did. Every @#$## time they cranked up the amps, I was on the phone. I literally held the phone up to the window (this was before cell phones) and let the dispatcher listen to the racket. Honestly, the noise was ridiculous. I kept complaining. They got fined and kept on playing and I kept on complaining. The fines went up-they couldn't pay so they went to jail. Finally! Peace and quiet in a neighborhood of about 25 people. I mean there were more cows than people. Methane and all. Utterly ridiculous that the country folk were too scared of the rock-n-rollers to do anything. But they backed me up when it came to verifying the noise was a pain in the patooty. I don't care who you are, if you want to have a concert, go do it in the city.

Nowadays getting your neighbors to quiet down should be much easier-IF the law is on your side. Record the racket on your cell phone and report them. And keep reporting them. Avoid loud and rowdy confrontations by staying on your property. Report the noise to the police and have them talk to the neighbors for you. Document every time the noise happens.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against rock-n-rollers or any kind of music. But have respect for those living nearby and keep the noise down. Even if you have a bunch of crowing roosters and barking dogs never forget your neighbors might not appreciate all the noise.

6. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Years ago we had neighbors who always called the police for every little thing, so we were spared having to take action on any of the offenders. The offenders, it seemed, didn't actually know who was reporting them, and once we had our tires slashed. So I don't think the police tell them who complained....but it might be obvious if you are next door.
    Now we live out in the middle of nowhere, and I realized after reading this thread, that I should be appreciating how quiet it is rather than complaining how lonely it is.....

7. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Be tolerant with your neighbors. Remember, they are the ones that will call the paramedics when you are busy having that heart attack. Maybe, if you are real nice, they will do CPR for you.

bzombie likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by