What's the temperature where you are???

Tuesday 818 am

IMG_7488.png

IMG_7489.png
IMG_7491.png

it’s 71 and sunny now but yesterday was scary! I really was worried about the ducks and chickens, and I saw my gander running in circles flapping, and then he finally went inside his house but there was one very wet chicken when I went to check on them thank God everybody was OK.

Wednesday 17th April 11.26a.m. Overcast, sunny gaps. 9.3 / 16.7 S, Hg 61%, 20.2C / 68.4F top of 21C / 70F Shower or two.

Moon is 62.4%

Sparse supermarket shelves across WA to continue for another week, Coles and Woolworths warn​

4 hours ago​

103729378.jpg

Some Perth supermarket shelves have been sparsely stocked since the disruptions. (ABC News: David Weber)

Dairy products, meat and other groceries are expected to be in limited supply across Western Australia for at least another week, as supermarkets struggle to restock after widespread flooding cut off critical transport routes last month.

Heavy rainfall forced the closure of the Eyre Highway and the Trans-Australian Railway Line in March, with the latter reopening on Easter Sunday.

Emergency supplies were flown in to remote communities isolated by flooding, and shelves are still sparse across supermarkets in Perth more than a month after the weather event.

Products affected included flour, bread, almonds, diced tomatoes, deli and dairy goods and chilled items.

Woolworths Group chief executive Brad Banducci on Tuesday told a Senate committee into supermarket pricing that some items would be low in stock for at least another 10 days.

"For all of our Western Australian shoppers, there are still material issues in supply there," he said.

"We're working very hard, and I know our competitors are, to get them back into supply."

Dairy, meat products most affected​

Consumers who have taken to social media have also reported shortages of beetroot, pasta, gluten-free items, bottled water, and pet products.

Some said Coles and Woolworths homebrand items were in short supply, but more expensive alternatives were available.

In a statement, a Woolworths spokesperson said a large amount of stock was being sent by rail to WA to help get levels "back on track".

"Our priority is getting more chilled products to our stores. Things like cheese, margarine and juice, as well as meat and poultry items," the spokesperson said.

A spokesperson for Coles said the supermarket giant also had stock en route to WA.

"As the backlog of deliveries via rail clears, customers can expect to see stock arrivals in stores in the coming days," the spokesperson said.

Vulnerability of freight network exposed​

Western Roads Federation chief executive Cam Dumesny said about 80 per cent of freight into WA was transported by rail, with just 10-20 per cent of that able to be carried by road during railway closures.

Mr Dumesny said supply chain issues could increase in frequency if flooding events became more common.

"We're starting to live the sort of life that the East Kimberley lives now," he said.

"When you look at the national interstate freight disruptions, they're becoming more frequent and more intense and more often.

"Short, intense, geographically concentrated weather events are certainly exposing the vulnerability of our freight systems."

Mr Dumesny said there needed to be a national policy on freight resilience, including exploring local stock storage options.

"We can't invest in the amount of trying to lift up 2,000 kilometres of rail line, 2,000 kilometres of road to connect us east-west, it's just too expensive," he said.

"We need a strategy and we need a plan. Currently there isn't one." :(

ABC

Back
Top Bottom