What's this screeching noise my girl makes when she lays?

Mine aren't broody, but they sure send a clear message- away now! servant!
duc.gif

I've also heard that the egg song serves to detract attention from the nest & egg as well.
Some people believe the hen is happy so she sings, I don't think that's the case.
Wish it was...

Actually yes, occasionally the do sit on the egg. But she did leave, like a good 30 minutes after it popped out. But why is she broody? Our roo doesn't seem to interact much with our girls.
And one of my reds is causing him a problem aswell. He's finishing up his molt but his tail feathers aren't growing well, and I looked at his rump and he had a small gash wound on it.
I was worried as heck so I looked at all the girls beaks and my red had blood on hers!
th.gif

I can't go near my roo or handle him until night time, when he can't see me and he's calmer, and I really wanna help him but I don't know what to do! I tried seperating Moochie (name of the red) but she kept making these screaming noises and she didn't look very happy......

Several of our girls make this screeching get out of my space noise, too. The loudest of them is our Barred Rock who is around 38 weeks old. She makes the noise when she is in the nest box and another chicken or human comes close to her. She has made this noise ever since she started laying and, while she does like to sit in the box for a couple hours when she lays, she is not broody. She is our oldest chicken by 4 weeks and maybe the others have learned this behavior from her. They are all private layers and don't like company while they are laying. I thought about having a community nest box but it's a good thing that I didn't. Our girls like their space!
smile.png

I call it "the dinosaur noise". They do it most vigorously if they're broody but some of them also do it if you disturb them while they're laying. Often accompanied by a hard peck on your hand.

the alien noise!!

i saw/heard a hen do this when another approached her after laying. it was quite a surprising noise. So we have 3 hens, and the one that made the noise was #2 in the pecking order. She made the noise at #3, but not at #1.
Here is a video:

Last edited:
I have a black australorp that tries that intimidating noise, I think it is them trying to ward off evil-doers from their nest. She stops as soon as she spots the raisin in my hand though
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom