Whats up with Doodle! Edit: She's recovering

I'd get her back out to the coop after she's eaten and drank for a couple-few hours.
I've had to do a 'cold-reset' on a couple birds, before I started giving EL regularly.
So take her back outside after she's been in for a bit? Should I be concerned about her getting hypothermia again? Its supposed to be 13 degree's tonight, going to 26 tomorrow during the day. 11 Tuesday night, and rising after that. Currently 18 degrees now.
Her poops are becoming more and more solid, she's perking up even more. Pushing the bowl across the floor as she pecks at it. Then walking after it. I put a thin layer of water over some wet food to encourage drinking. Now that its mixed together its just very very thin mash. She's enjoying it.

While exposing her to room temps for an extended period may not be good for her, she does need to be kept above freezing for a few days. Once she revives and is eating and drinking, find a place where the temp is around 45-50F. That's a nice median range and she shouldn't lose her cold hardiness in just a few days recuperating at those temps.

Made a mash with the rest of the sugar water. I made 1/2c, she drank 1/4, now using the other 1/4 for the mash. Her poop is more and more solid, and she just jogged across the room to get the mash from me. She's eating slowly, and slobbering some, but seem's to be doing much better. Pupils are still dilated, but the other symptoms seem to be gone. Thanks so much everyone! I think she's going to be just fine. Thank goodness!

So take her back outside after she's been in for a bit? Should I be concerned about her getting hypothermia again? Its supposed to be 13 degree's tonight, going to 26 tomorrow during the day. 11 Tuesday night, and rising after that. Currently 18 degrees now.
Her poops are becoming more and more solid, she's perking up even more. Pushing the bowl across the floor as she pecks at it. Then walking after it. I put a thin layer of water over some wet food to encourage drinking. Now that its mixed together its just very very thin mash. She's enjoying it.
If she's perking up and has eaten and drank, I'd take her back out.
If you leave her in too long it may be more of a shock to go back out.
Read the blurb in my article from @BantyChooks about cold reset.

Last edited:
While exposing her to room temps for an extended period may not be good for her, she does need to be kept above freezing for a few days. Once she revives and is eating and drinking, find a place where the temp is around 45-50F. That's a nice median range and she shouldn't lose her cold hardiness in just a few days recuperating at those temps.
Perfect! We have a storage room in our garage that I can keep her in. It has a thermostat I can set as well. I'll set up a large dog crate in there once she's back to normal.
She's currently being talkative and complaining that I took her food away. I want her to clean up what I spilled on the floor. ;) Pecking away, complaining, much much better than when I brought her in.💗

If she's perking up and has eaten and drank, I'd take her back out.
If you leave her in too long it may be more of a shock to go back out.
Read the blurb in my article from @BantyChooks about cold reset.
For some reason I'm having trouble finding this. Can you link the article by chance? Thanks for your help!

I lean toward keeping her at a neutral temperature range until she is stabilized. That means she should be eating and drinking normally so that she's not dehydrated and is consuming calories to maintain her body temp. If she's normal in the morning, then I would feel comfortable letting her go back outside.

The important thing is adequate calorie and water consumption to regulate her body temperature.

I lean toward keeping her at a neutral temperature range until she is stabilized. That means she should be eating and drinking normally so that she's not dehydrated and is consuming calories to maintain her body temp. If she's normal in the morning, then I would feel comfortable letting her go back outside.

The important thing is adequate calorie and water consumption to regulate her body temperature.
Got it. I not think I'm comfortable putting her back outside today anyway, so I'll probably have her in the storage room for at least tonight. She can stay in there as long as she has to, but I don't want her to loose her cold heartiness either. Now that she finished her food, she's tucked up resting by the fire. Not puffy anymore, but definitely still needs time to recuperate. Poor baby, I'm so glad she's recovering. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom