Whats up with Doodle! Edit: She's recovering

Doodle is still resting by the fire. Seems happy, and twitches her head/clucks every now and then. ❤️ I've picked her up and moved her over to the water a few times, and she takes big sips of both electrolyte and plain water. I'll move her into the storage room this evening, and give her another small meal. Hopefully she'll be rested and ready to go again tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated.

Keep offering her calories such as boiled rice and egg and fluids. She's going to be just fine.
I gave her an egg not to long ago. I'll do some after we make dinner, I can make some for all of us then. Fluids are available and she's very willing to drink, its so cute watching chickens sleep. 😁

She just had a squirt, clear/white poop. Not sure if thats due to more water than food since I haven't fed her yet today, or something else?

Her poops are becoming more and more solid, she's perking up even more. Pushing the bowl across the floor as she pecks at it. Then walking after it.

Made a mash with the rest of the sugar water. I made 1/2c, she drank 1/4, now using the other 1/4 for the mash. Her poop is more and more solid, and she just jogged across the room to get the mash from me. She's eating slowly, and slobbering some, but seem's to be doing much better.
I'm glad she's doing better.

Question - you mentioned you had not fed her "yet" today - do you only feed her once a day?

I'm glad she's doing better.

Question - you mentioned you had not fed her "yet" today - do you only feed her once a day?
Thank you! I'm glad as well. :)

Yes, for a while I did feed her twice a day, but eventually I got lazy and only feed her once a day. Should I go back to twice? It worked well in the summer since I could let her and Smudge out and they would go forage since they were hungry. Maybe go back to twice for the winter because they can't forage?

Thank you! I'm glad as well. :)

Yes, for a while I did feed her twice a day, but eventually I got lazy and only feed her once a day. Should I go back to twice? It worked well in the summer since I could let her and Smudge out and they would go forage since they were hungry. Maybe go back to twice for the winter because they can't forage?
How much do you feed just once a day?
And what is she eating/pecking at all day if only once a day. She has quite a large crop for a bird that was just fed a 1/4 cup feed and some water - is her crop emptying overnight?

I'm not a nutritionist at all and I understand you are trying to control her weight, but I think I would feed twice a day like you did in summer. She's a big gal and it takes energy to stay warm/regulate in colder temperatures. This may be why she was struggling today(?) I couldn't say that for a fact, but possible she was just in a weakened state. You mentioned how well her poop kept improving after eating - this (to me) says that she was needing something to eat.

Hopefully those that know much more about nutrition than I, can chime in on this.

I am also of the firm belief that winter temperatures require the adequate consumption of quality calories and protein over the course of the day, and importantly, before roosting, in order for chickens to be able to regulate their body heat.

I feed FF twice a day, around 8am and again around 3pm, and I offer a little dry feed right at roosting time for those chickens wanting to top off their crops. That way no chicken goes to sleep on a cold night without a full crop.

How much do you feed just once a day?
And what is she eating/pecking at all day if only once a day. She has quite a large crop for a bird that was just fed a 1/4 cup feed and some water - is her crop emptying overnight?

I'm not a nutritionist at all and I understand you are trying to control her weight, but I think I would feed twice a day like you did in summer. She's a big gal and it takes energy to stay warm/regulate in colder temperatures. This may be why she was struggling today(?) I couldn't say that for a fact, but possible she was just in a weakened state. You mentioned how well her poop kept improving after eating - this (to me) says that she was needing something to eat.

Hopefully those that know much more about nutrition than I, can chime in on this.
Thank you! This is very helpful. :)
in the afternoon's, I've been feeding 3/4c of wet feed. I have been offering veggies/greens often, but not everyday. Your post makes perfect sense. She's definitely a big gall with a large crop. ;) She got a large meal today, and I'll go back to twice a day tomorrow.
Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention.

Back
Top Bottom