Whats up with Purina Sunfresh Recipe Chick Crumbles?

I just switched to Nutrena for the Gamebird Feed and I like it. Actually I am also giving it to my 9 week old Chicks, too. Boy did their colors perk up real fast. It is actually crumbles and not almost flour dust. I am giving the kids some grains to tone down the protein level, though. They like that, too.

I am going to try their Chicken Feeds, when I have to restock.

I've been having the same problem with Flock Raiser. Each bag was more and more dusty and all the chickens were sneezingchoking when they ate. They also started to attack the food like they were starving and I was feeding twice as much. I lost a roo that I think choked. Even the ducks started sneezing/choking. I don't know what is different, but I switched to a different brand layer and things are going back to normal. I did have to get a bag of Start and Grow for the babies, but it is much better than the Flock Raiser I was getting.

I really liked the Flock Raiser until the last few months. The last bag was almost completely dust. My feed store orders it weekly for me and one other customer, so it doesn't sit at their place long.

Yeah, Purina has many problems. They put more into advertising than they do into their R&D department. I stopped buying it period. I drive two hours just to get Kent feed. I had a rep from LandOLakes which is the producer of Purina chicken feed call me. After a long conversation with him, he was trying to sell me on some other feed that they make and even offered me a free bag. I'm not famous for turning down free, but I did.
hmm.png

My local TSC only carries Purina and I think Dumor, which everyone seems to think is even worse. Have checked three tsc's to see if I could find flock raiser in pellets (which the website says they make) but so far no luck. Haven't found any local producers either - lots of horse feed out here (big horse town) but no luck yet on local chicken food.

Quote:
I asked at TSC for flock raiser when I started and they didnt know what I was talking about. Thats why I went to game bird which they abruptly stop selling so I went to the local feed mill and thats where I stayed.

Yep. The chick starter had a lot of dust. They are on Layena crumbles now which seems to be a little bit better, maybe, but still plenty of dust. Anyone use NatureWise? That's the other brand my feed store has.

Last edited:
I was buying crumbles also in Layena had to switch to pellets because of the same problem. Maybe contact Purina and tell them. They would probably appreciate feed back.

Yay Chicks - I use Nature Wise that is Nutrena. I can get the Gamebird and their Layer feed.

The Gamebird I feed to the quail and adolescent chicks until at POL. The Hens are in process of switching over to the Nutrena Layer Feed. I have had the Quail and the Chicks on the Gamebird for almost 2 weeks. I like it and so do they. If I do another hatch of my eggs in October the chicks will get the Gamebird feed.

I quess by not buying the Purina, I am certainly letting them know their products have a problem. When sales drop they have to stop and figure why.

To the one that can only get Purina or Dumor. I had that choice once and went with Purina. Make up a mush from time to time with the powder (flour) and there will be less wasted.

If they act hungry crush some kitten food (chicks) or cat food (hens) and add that to their diet free choice as treats or mix it in the feed to give them some more protein. There are some people that mix it in on a regular basis. But really, Purina we shouldn't have to add protein to their "high protein" mixes.

Back
Top Bottom