What's up with this comb?

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 6 week old Japanese Bantam Cockerel. Japs are supposed to have single combs but this guy looks like he started growing a single comb and then it mutated. Any ideas? Both parents have single combs.
20181021_100109.jpg
20181021_100117.jpg

I have two pullets from this year with the same abnormality. One is rose-comb and one single, both with the same splitting at the end of the comb. They are full sisters from my Silkie mix cockerel and a single combed Marans mix hen. I believe the springs came from the father, and I have considered that it may be the result of the v-comb gene.

Next year they will be going to single combed cockerels, and then the year after I shall breed the cousins together to see if a bird homozygous for the gene/s responsible will possess a full split comb.

I have two pullets from this year with the same abnormality. One is rose-comb and one single, both with the same splitting at the end of the comb. They are full sisters from my Silkie mix cockerel and a single combed Marans mix hen. I believe the springs came from the father, and I have considered that it may be the result of the v-comb gene.

Next year they will be going to single combed cockerels, and then the year after I shall breed the cousins together to see if a bird homozygous for the gene/s responsible will possess a full split comb.
I did work on comb genetics. Silkies do not have V combs. They have what is called a walnut comb, which is a cross of pea and rose. Therefore, they have one Rose copy, one Pea copy and one Single copy.
Being that single is recessive, it is not expressed. When a silkie is croased to a Single comb, most offspring will be pea, some rose and some single with all having a split somewhere. Silkie combs started as a muddle of a lot of things.

Kinda looks like it has a rose comb in its ancestry. Otherwise, the comb gene didn't get the right instructions for single comb. :lau
I use to raise BTW Japanese, never saw a comb like yours has developed. :idunno
Single is recessive so if anything else were present in the parents they would not have single combs.

Back
Top Bottom