What's wrong?!?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

The nearest one I could find on that website is at least 6 hours away. I live in a very rural area in northern California. Can a necropsy be done by a local small animal vet? I'll give the nearest lab a ring.

The nearest one I could find on that website is at least 6 hours away. I live in a very rural area in northern California. Can a necropsy be done by a local small animal vet? I'll give the nearest lab a ring.
I don't know if your nearest vet will do necropsies on chickens but I'd sure ask and if not, ask them if they know who will. I think we're all afraid something could be going on and that's the only way to find out what it is.

It's a mix of layer feed, sunflower seeds, corn, crushed oyster shells and other various seeds that I don't know the name of. The hens however are slightly picky so the don't always eat the oystershells or the pellets.
Refrigerate the body to keep it cool and call the UC Davis lab. Ask them about sending the body for necropsy, they will help walk you through the process.

The feed that you feed, is it a commercial feed you buy or is this a mix you make yourself?

When you feed loose type feeds and the hens aren't eating all the components/ingredients, then they may be lacking in nutrition. Try soaking or fermenting the feed if they aren't eating it all or consider switching to just a pellet feed.

Refrigerate the body to keep it cool and call the UC Davis lab. Ask them about sending the body for necropsy, they will help walk you through the process.

The feed that you feed, is it a commercial feed you buy or is this a mix you make yourself?

When you feed loose type feeds and the hens aren't eating all the components/ingredients, then they may be lacking in nutrition. Try soaking or fermenting the feed if they aren't eating it all or consider switching to just a pellet feed.
This is commercial feed. I've tried switching to pellets before but the simply don't eat it. I'll try soaking it.

I am sorry to hear that Tammy is not well. I had an sweet EE that struggled with general weakness: weight loss, loss of apetite and vigor.

Soon after she passed I sent her off to UC Davis for a necropsy. Turned out she died of hemorrhagic fatty liver.

Another one of my girls started to show similar signs. After numerous online searches I determined that Dix was suffering from vitamin deficency related to her diet, which in turn can lead to fatty liver. I decreased the variety of human food and but continued with the layer feed. I began to add Nutri Drench to their feed that I soaked overnight and on alternanating days I started using a B complex made for poulty.

It took time but she improved. Her feather loss decreased. Her staggered walking decreased, its almost non existent. Her energy level increased but she is terribly skittish.

In the early stages of Dix's decline I spent a lot of money with visit to the vet. The vet prescribed a medication (can't remember the med) but I think it was an anti-inflammatory. Poor Dix didn't improve. The vet took another approach but in the end couldn't figure what lead to Dix's condition.

I found the Merck Manual (online) very helpful as well as BYC.

Wishing you and Tammy the best.

Back
Top Bottom