Whats wrong with her eye?

Waqar4

Chirping
Aug 3, 2018
Orange County
Hi,

Here are pictures of my 3 year old Frizzle Hen (Cochin). She has been broody for about 10 days now, but comes out once or twice a day to feed or stroll. Today, I noticed her right eye lids are a swollen and she has flaky skin all around her eye. Some spots are yellow too (puss?). Her left eye is good, its neither swollen nor has flaky skin.
What is causing this? And what is the treatment?

Attachments

• le.JPG
    le.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 24
When you select photos to post, pretend you do not know the first thing about the chicken or the issue. Do the photos appear to show clearly the image that will give the most information to people who have never seen the chicken in person?

Try again with better photos. You need to keep in mind that viewing two dimensional images requires the best photos you can manage since they lack that third dimension of depth. Once you take new photos and select the most clear ones, then you need to augment the photos with detailed written descriptions of what you want the viewers to see in your photos, calling attention to the things that concern you as the chicken's owner.

When you post, select the full image, not thumbnail.

If these photos are all you can manage, try flushing her eye with saline eye wash or lubrication eye drops. Then use an eye ointment in them such as Terramycin which you can get from the feed store or online.

Looks like it could be a pecking wound, Fowl Pox or some sort of skin irritation, however, I cannot tell in the photos.

When you select photos to post, pretend you do not know the first thing about the chicken or the issue. Do the photos appear to show clearly the image that will give the most information to people who have never seen the chicken in person?

Try again with better photos. You need to keep in mind that viewing two dimensional images requires the best photos you can manage since they lack that third dimension of depth. Once you take new photos and select the most clear ones, then you need to augment the photos with detailed written descriptions of what you want the viewers to see in your photos, calling attention to the things that concern you as the chicken's owner.

When you post, select the full image, not thumbnail.

If these photos are all you can manage, try flushing her eye with saline eye wash or lubrication eye drops. Then use an eye ointment in them such as Terramycin which you can get from the feed store or online.
Sorry, I didn't realize the pictures size would be reduced. Here I am attaching again.
02.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
06.jpg

Have you checked her well for lice and mites? If you find any, then treat her with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. If she's broody, then you'll want to clean out her nesting box, treat that too.

I agree, I would apply cream to skin and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom