1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

? What's wrong with her??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickmomma18, Jan 13, 2015.

1. chickmomma18

chickmomma18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    [​IMG]

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    sorry, but could you explain some?

3. chickmomma18

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    Sorry. I found her in the corner of the coop not wanting to be not wanting to be bothered this am. Brought her in. Seemed like maybe she had a leg injury but after a warm foot bath-she's standing. No cuts that I can see but she's just standing there. Also, she won't eat or drink. She's been in the house for 1 and half hours and hasn't pooped once

4. chickmomma18

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    Anyway...she died

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sorry for your loss:( Could you tell us any symptoms she had so we can try to help before it happens again? did she just fall over dead off her feet? Was her crop full or empty? any mucus inside her mouth/throat, age of bird?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  6. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I wish we were able to help sooner. :(

Is this the first time you noticed she was acting strange? Did you investigate her abdomen for possible eggbinding?

Are any of your other chickens exhibiting any symptoms (lethargy, respiratory distress, bloody poops, puffed and hunched)??

Any info you can give will help.

MrsB

1 person likes this.
  7. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Very sorry was offline at the time![​IMG]I've had chickens die like that before [​IMG].

8. chickmomma18

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    Thanks! She was acting perfectly healthy yesterday...I get up before their light comes on, and am about half way to the coop when the light does come on....she was gone pretty quickly.

9. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Do you use artificial lighting to increase egg production?

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  10. chickmomma18

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    No. Not at all. Their light goes on at 6:30 am and is off by 6 pm.
    Right now, the sun is up 30 minutes later. I go in with fresh water and fresh feed and my early morning pretense stimulates their desire to eat their healthy feed, which my vet told me is real important 1st thing in the am. and 6 pm allows them to stay outside a little after it gets dark...they just follow the light. They are in and up on their roosts by 5 pm. Which is right now! Because I have a baby monitor I know these things. Lol.
    Their light will be off in an hour

And they are just now 25 and 23 weeks old. They haven't laid eggs yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by