What's wrong with my chicken

Chick Leah

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
Hi
Im pretty new to BYC and would really apprieciate any advice or ideas with what might be wrong with my girl. Shes a bluebelle hybrid around 18months old. Shes usually bossy and speedy but shes currently slower and more lethargic than usual Im also pretty certain shes not laid for some time. Her eyes are clear and has no nasal discharge. Her comb face and wattles are angry red. Her crop is not compacted.

Shes eating but minimal i tempted her with her favourite, cheese which she gobbled and shes drinking occasionally. I initially thought she might be egg bound. Her vent seems to be comtracting but theres no sign of an egg. I cant feel a thing. She had a bath in epsom salt last night and she did drink some of another epsom salt solution from a syringe. Thought it couldnt do any harm. Her belly seems swollen though. She is pooping but barely but then again shes not eating much so... any ideas of other clues of what might be wrong would be great. My mother inlaw was lookong after my girls for a week last week and im wondering if stress is a trigger. But dont want to miss something for serious either.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi

I'm just reading through this post for the first time and what occurred to me is that she is 18 months old which is spot on for her starting her first adult moult. Whilst you might not notice a huge feather loss, you may see more feathers than usual in the run and coop. Some of my hens can get really down in the mouth when it happens and feeding them high protein treats once or twice a day will definitely help her through it. It is telling that she wolfed down the scrambled egg and cheese when you offered them, so I would take her to one side each day and offer her those and maybe a little tuna or meat scraps. I have one or two that are showing the same symptoms at the moment and looking a little tatty with dull feathers. In a couple of months time they will be looking and feeling much better. Some hens sail through their moult like nothing has happened and others really seem to feel yuk with it. Your girl may just be one of those. I really hope it is something that simple.

Regards

Barbara

Hi
Im pretty new to BYC and would really apprieciate any advice or ideas with what might be wrong with my girl. Shes a bluebelle hybrid around 18months old. Shes usually bossy and speedy hit shes currently slower and more lethargic than usual Im also pretty certain shes not laid for some time. Her eyes are clear and has no nasal discharge. Her comb face and wattles are angry red. Her crop is not compacted.

Shes eating but minimal i tempted her with her favourite, cheese which she gobbled and shes drinking occasionally. I initially thought she might be egg bound. Her vent seems to be comtracting but theres no sign of an egg. I cant feel a thing. Her belly seems swollen though. She is pooping but barely but then again shes not eating much so... any ideas of other clues of what might be wrong would be great. My mother inlaw was lookong after my girls for a week last week and im wondering if stress is a trigger. But dont want to miss something for serious either.

Thanks
Welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry you are having trouble.
A vet may be helpful in diagnosis.
How does her poop look?

My best guess, it that your hen could have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors.

Some symptoms can be loose/runny, not eating/drinking, weight loss, swelling in the abdomen, problems walking, and labored breathing. Unfortunately antibiotics are usually not successful.

You can also offer some poultry vitamins to help give her a boost and see if that helps. If she is seems slow, lethargic and not feeling well, she may also benefit from extra protein - offer scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Try to make her comfortable, you may need to separate her so you can monitor her food/water intake and give her some TLC.

Peritonitis and internal egg laying issues:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx

I will do. I have separated her from the flock shes alert enough and took some catching but id never get her during the day usually. She has to usually have her health checks in the evening after shes gone to roost. Ive given her some scrambled egg which she devoured. I think the ends of her comb have a darker purple tinge to them, does that signal anything? Poor thing. Il keep you posted.

I will do. I have separated her from the flock shes alert enough and took some catching but id never get her during the day usually. She has to usually have her health checks in the evening after shes gone to roost. Ive given her some scrambled egg which she devoured. I think the ends of her comb have a darker purple tinge to them, does that signal anything? Poor thing. Il keep you posted.

Since you are going to your vet you may want to ask about the purple tinge to the comb. But if she has a fluid filled abdomen, then sometimes fluid buildup can press on the organs and cause some oxygen flow or breathing problems, this is sometimes indicated in a purple color in the comb.

Hopefully the vet will be able to give you more information and be able to treat her.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Help!!! One day old chick looks like she has part of a worm coming out of her, but it looks dead?

Back
Top Bottom