1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

whats wrong with my chickens combs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BellsCluckers, Oct 21, 2015.

1. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    I noticed this morning when I was feeding my birds a few of them have either black spots on their combs or some black covering the top half of the comb. I have herd of a fungus that they can get but what are other possibilities? I can get pictures if needed. Anything will help thank you.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Definitely put up pictures so people can help you.

You may want to look up fowl pox on BYC here or the internet. You may get some matches there to the appearance of your chickens' combs. You could also look up frost bite which will blacken the comb.

3. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    ok here are some photos of the birds that have little black spots. Do you think it is because of the dryness of the season causing this? I have one bird that has always had one or two little black spots on her comb never changed never got worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hope others will chime in. I don't think it is anything that you will need to worry about. -- (Especially if your chickens are acting normally). HTH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by