What's wrong with my turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Truscifi, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Truscifi

Truscifi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    She looked fine Sunday morning, then we were running crazy the rest of Sunday and Monday, so we just tossed in the feed and checked water and ran. This morning we did our usual inspection and she had this huge swollen lump. She (I think she, but not totally sure) is 13 weeks Black Spanish. She is eating and drinking fine, and is out foraging right now.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing an abcess? Do I need to put her on antibiotics? The rest of the flock looks fine and everyone is acting normal. Please help, we already lost half our flock to a predator attack, I don't want to lose any more!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You need to lance it and remove the pus.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. Truscifi

Jul 10, 2011
    Oh, that looks like fun. [​IMG]

Ok. Off to get hubby to help, and to steel my nerves.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Be warned, lol, what they don't mention is how much it can bleed. :)

-Kathy

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Poor turkey. I wish I was there to help you . I like doing that kinda stuff. Keep us posted on the outcome.

7. Truscifi

Jul 10, 2011
    Well, it is done. She is up and moving and seems fine. There is still somewhat of a lump, but it is much smaller and we cleaned the area thoroughly. I'm hoping it will finish draining on its own, but I'll be checking her several times a day until it is all cleared up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by