What's wrong with their feathers?

Congrats on the original windfall and success on your first generation . I find it interesting that the pictured roo's comb has seemed to have been modified by the Silkie breed's walnut type . Best wishes for continued success with this unique chicken .

These are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

It would be help if offspring could be bred by several people in case any problems come up in the original flock.
PLEASE--Anyone who gets a chance, please help keep this line of Ameraucanas (Yes--I realize they're actually EEs) going!

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the pictured roo's comb has seemed to have been modified by the Silkie breed's walnut type

Now that isn't the rooster from the original pair right? That is one of their sons? I seem to recall a pic showing the combs of the two originals and that roo's was much nicer in type.​

Quote:
Would it work to add two (so they could be buddies) Black or Blue Ameraucana hens in with your young roo in that pen? Or in with your older roo (wherever he's kept)?

Last edited:
I still have the original rooster. He is a very aggressive bird and is in with my pen of other mixed chickens. But he was very mean to the older hen and I just couldn't keep them together. This rooster is a son. I'll try to go get a picture of the first rooster this afternoon, especially his comb now. And yes, my desire would be to get some Blue/Black ameraucanas to put in with that rooster soon.

Your older roo might be okay with a group of hens. His attentions might be diverted this way. I think it would be worthwhile to get several black/blue hens with him. All their progeny would carry the gene for this feathering and could be valuable if something happens to your true-breeding splash stock.

Here is a picture I took of the Rooster #1 - Ozzie. His comb is really pretty similar to Rooster #2. He is currently in a pen with hens, but just a bunch of mixed flock.

IMG_0902.jpg

Back
Top Bottom