What's wrong with their feathers?

I have some but they are not laying right now. If you can wait until the Spring I can send you some. PM me if you are interested
big_smile.png

Trish

I am also interested in joining in the cause of this variety. I have read the first 200 post or so since this thread was created, and I have always been interested. I currently have the space and time to pursue this project. I know breeding these birds can be quite difficult, as I am prepared to handle the pro's with the con's. If any way possible, I'd be interested in F1XSilkied, or silkiedXsilkied eggs. I don't favor F1XF1 crosses as it leaves the chance of hatching smooth birds, and the only way to know if the birds in a F1XF1 are smooth or split is breeding. A F1XSilkied cross should give half silkied and half split, which is great for a breeding program such as this. I will try to keep in touch until spring, keep up the great work. It'd be a shame for this variety to be lost after so much work to presverve it.

My girls have FINALLY started laying pretty well for me. I culled almost all of my splashes and kept just blues for this years breeding group. Some are split but most are silkied. I have my one black pullet in with a lavender rooster to get that going, and I'm planning on putting a couple blues in with my wheaten boy as well. Hopefully this will improve egg color in those future generations also.

I didn't lose any birds so far this winter to mystery deaths (knock on everything!), but we'll see what happens once the heat comes back this summer.

I have a couple of extra blue roosters if anyone nearby is interested, and hopefully should have eggs posted pretty regularly over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
I'm still going on the Chocolates. On my Blacks I'm now getting Reds and odd red leakage at any given body part, male or female...very annoying.

I should see my first fluffy chocolate this summer. Unfortunately I'm burnt out on incubating, well, brooding, really (thousands of chicks in winter will do that to you!) so I'm not incubating anything. I'm eating the eggs and will sell when mixed combos are purchased until they're laying enough to sell larger batches. I'm unplugging when this last one is hatched, and will let broodies do the rest for a long while!

Back
Top Bottom