What's wrong with their feathers?

Wow, I never thought I'd see silkied ameraucanas. Lucky for you it looks like a pair so you can breed them and make more! I have seen silkie feathering in seramas, cochins, japanese, and some mutts but never thought it'd pop up in these. I say they are pure ameraucanas because they are out of ameraucanas and they meet the standard for the breed in all aspects but the feathering. I wonder where Jean Ribbick is (forgot her user name), it will be interesting to see what she has to say. Who's flock are they from?

They look awesome. I would agree in saying they are "pure" Ameraucana as well. Most Silkie traits are dominant: black skin, five toes, crest/vaulted skull, feathering on the legs, and comb type. These birds even have the correct colored legs unless I'm mistaken. And the combs are very neat pea combs. I would say you have a pair as well. You can clearly see two roes of "peas" on the comb of the larger bird on the left. i would assume that there is a third row on the other side, which is characteristic of Ameraucana roosters.

However if they are both splash you will only get splash babies. You will need to get a Blue Ameraucana to get black and blue silkies. A black would only throw blue.

wait I have to pick my jaw up off the floor
ep.gif
They are awesome!

I think they are sooooooo AWESOME.

You should probably start and egg reservation list for them, cause the addicts on this forum will want to snap them up (I would be one of them....
lol.png
)

I bought these eggs from eggbid.com. I have the seller's screen name, if anyone wants it. I can't vouch for how purebred these Ameraucanas are, cause you know how buying eggs online goes.
tongue.png

Out of a dozen eggs, only three hatched. One was a beautiful Blue Ameraucana, but it died a few weeks later. It had normal feathers. These two are the only survivors.

My husband thinks they are so ugly, but I like them, and they are very sweet birds. So I'll be keeping them. I guess they are more special than I thought. I'm anxious to see whether I'll get blue or green eggs. And I may try to hatch a few more.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh definitely keep them, they are unique and see if you can get them to produce some more!

Edit: Have you reached out to the breeder to try and get some info? Maybe they have more?

Last edited:
I think they are absolutley wonderful. They look like you could just hug and cuddle them. I would definitley try hatching some of their eggs, it looks like you could have a demand for them.

Okay, I sent an email to the breeder to see if she has more of the silkie ameraucanas, or is aware that these are coming from her flock. If she responds, I'll let everyone know what I find out.

She may get overrun with egg requests!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom