What's wrong with their feathers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jubaby, Oct 20, 2008.

1. purr

purr Songster

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    put me on the list for spring ,thanks

2. Jubaby

Jubaby Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Help me learn the genetics here.

If I breed the splash/silkie rooster to the splash/silkie hen - I would get only splash babies, but would they be silkie or normal or some of both?

If I breed the splash/silkie rooster to blue/black normal hens - I would get blue/black/splash with normal feathers and silkie genes, so some could be silkie?

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Where's our genetics guru??????

They look like they are silkie mixes and it looks like a cockerel and a pullet.

I sold eggs to that person last year, but there is no telling where the rest of her flock came from. No silkies or frizzles here.

I am concerned though that this could be a disease. There is one, I can't for the life of me find it, that causes feather abnormalities.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Wow! I've never seen silkie-feathered ameraucanas before!

silkied splash x silkied splash = 100% silkied splash

silkied splash x smooth black = 100% smooth blue, carrying silkie gene

silkied splash x smooth blue = 50% blue, 50% splash, with 100% smooth feathered, carrying silkie gene

silkied splash x f1 black = 100% blue, with 50% smooth carrying the silkie gene, 50% silkied

silkied splash x f1 blue = 50% blue, 50% splash, with 50% smooth carrying the silkie gene, 50% silkied

f1 blue x f1 black = 50% black, 50% blue, with 25% smooth and not carrying silkie gene, 50% smooth but carrying the gene, and 25% silkied

f1 blue x f1 blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash, with 25% smooth and not carrying silkie gene, 50% smooth but carrying the gene, and 25% silkied

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  5. Jubaby

Jubaby Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Thanks for the genetic info. I'm going to save that to a file for future reference.

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    [​IMG] Beautiful! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Wow! A spontaneous genetic mutation? That's so cool and how lucky for you!! They are really really pretty!
    I have some blue silkie feathered green-egger hens here, but they are not nearly so pretty --- actually mine are kind of homely.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Crowing

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Ok, when you get to the Silkie/splash x F1 black, to give you blues, some silkie....

I WANT THOSE EGGS!!!!!!!!

You have two very pretty and unique birds. I want blue silkie EEs. I need them. I think you have a very nice future in egg sales.

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    OMG! I WANT THEM! I have Silkie/EEs cooking in the bator right now, so eventually I could come up with something like that, but I want them NOW!! Definitely put me on the list if you've started one!

10. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I am also very curious as to how the hen will lay, and what will come of breeding the pair.

(subscribed for updates)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: