What's wrong with their feathers?

Help me learn the genetics here.

If I breed the splash/silkie rooster to the splash/silkie hen - I would get only splash babies, but would they be silkie or normal or some of both?

If I breed the splash/silkie rooster to blue/black normal hens - I would get blue/black/splash with normal feathers and silkie genes, so some could be silkie?

Where's our genetics guru??????

They look like they are silkie mixes and it looks like a cockerel and a pullet.

I sold eggs to that person last year, but there is no telling where the rest of her flock came from. No silkies or frizzles here.

I am concerned though that this could be a disease. There is one, I can't for the life of me find it, that causes feather abnormalities.

Last edited:
Wow! I've never seen silkie-feathered ameraucanas before!

silkied splash x silkied splash = 100% silkied splash

silkied splash x smooth black = 100% smooth blue, carrying silkie gene

silkied splash x smooth blue = 50% blue, 50% splash, with 100% smooth feathered, carrying silkie gene

silkied splash x f1 black = 100% blue, with 50% smooth carrying the silkie gene, 50% silkied

silkied splash x f1 blue = 50% blue, 50% splash, with 50% smooth carrying the silkie gene, 50% silkied

f1 blue x f1 black = 50% black, 50% blue, with 25% smooth and not carrying silkie gene, 50% smooth but carrying the gene, and 25% silkied

f1 blue x f1 blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash, with 25% smooth and not carrying silkie gene, 50% smooth but carrying the gene, and 25% silkied

Last edited:
love.gif
Beautiful!
big_smile.png
clap.gif

Ok, when you get to the Silkie/splash x F1 black, to give you blues, some silkie....

I WANT THOSE EGGS!!!!!!!!

You have two very pretty and unique birds. I want blue silkie EEs. I need them. I think you have a very nice future in egg sales.

OMG! I WANT THEM! I have Silkie/EEs cooking in the bator right now, so eventually I could come up with something like that, but I want them NOW!! Definitely put me on the list if you've started one!

Back
Top Bottom