What's wrong with their feathers?

Quote:
Someone already answered it- that pair will throw 100% silky feathereds. Crosses will have normal feathers but carrying the gene.

It is true that silkie CROSSes do show things like weird combs, small crest etc. Also a cross never shows silky feathering either(unless it happened to have that gene hidden).

Most likely, there was a cross to a silky or a silky feathered bird sometime in the line- nothing wrong with that if they match the desired type otherwise. It's very possible for birds to pass on the silky feather gene down for generations and not become apparent until two birds of some relation happen to be bred together and presto.

If the seller knew which birds were parents of those birds, he/she will be able to hatch more.

Congrats on such luck, I think those birds are very cool..

Okay everyone - I'm excited now! I cleaned my garden patch out tonight and this weekend I'm going to go buy a playhouse to make a new chicken coop for my pair.

The sweetest thing about these chickens is they already act like a little married couple. They sleep together, eat together and are constantly side by side.
love.gif

Maybe getting my little rooster out of the pen and away from the other rooster will make him start crowing and acting like a man.

Last edited:
My standard EE pair are like that, they are so sweet on each other. It is adorable.

I, too, would like to be on the egg list if you start one. Those are just way too cool and I am in love!

Julie,

Can you e-mail Anissa and find out who she has bought her eggs from. I have already posted a question on the Ameraucana Breeders Club site as to if there are any "silkie" genes hiding out somewhere.

The best way to go from here would be for Anissa to contact the breeders she purchased eggs from to find out any of them had silkies.

I know she bought eggs from me last year, but I don't have silkies and neither did any of the people I purchased my breeders from.

Jean, thanks for posting on the Ameraucana site. I was trying to register over there to ask them what they thought.

I will email her and ask some more questions. I'll let you know what I can find out.

I still find this so odd that I wound up with two of these from a dozen eggs, and it has never happened before.

hu.gif

Quote:
Jubaby, Your pair is incredible!!!
I've wanted to try frizzling Ameraucanas for a while since breeds other than Cochins can be frizzled, but I had no idea breeds other than actual Silkies could be "silkied." I still don't know if frizzle genes are compatible with the genes required for true Ameraucanas, but it is SO neat to see silkie genes in there with apparently all other Ameraucana characteristics holding true. WOW!!!
PLEASE breed and distribute their offspring! Especially since they're so sweet!
Lisa, PLEASE post some pics of your chickens!!! If they are reasonably close to Ameraucana standards, a cross between yours and these Splash lines could possibly enable Blues & Blacks to also be produced with characteristics of Ameraucanas, with only the deviation of feather silkiness.

Quote:
Any breed can be frizzled, and any breed can also be silkie-feathered. There have been a few breeds where the silkie feathering has been bred in, including seremas and I've even seen it in cochins.

Back
Top Bottom