What's wrong with their feathers?

I always fear that someone will breed a Silkie to these birds, get it looking right then sell it as a SFA (like my abbreviation) people buying them and ruining the breed. I went into this when I saw Catkai's birds and fell in love hence, buying her eggs. I hatched out 5 SFA's. I have to admit I like the Blacks and Blues the best. I will be hatching these eggs this winter. They will have their own coop. My eggs are a gorgeous blue color.

That is wonderful and you are lucky on the eggs! You may or may not have to deal other the more olive hue but maybe Kim has fixed a lot of that. LOVE THAT ABBREVIATION! We should all use it! Silkied fluffy ameraucanas! SFA that IS how you meant it right? My favorite is the blacks they seem to be coming out more typy and I love the splash... But we just don't need them and with our downsizing they aren't gonna make the cut I think lol. So I will keep a few blues to make more blacks..I can see the quality in these splashes good job Kim!

Yep, black silkied Ams are GOLD for all kinds of silkied color projects. I have one started bs chick and PRAYING for it to be a roo! Two other hardfeather blacks hopeful of splits - regardless of gender, would still be valuable to the program bred to silkieds. Now that I have one bs, the next 3 are promised to help others progress in thier programs. Could I use more myself? Sure could, but one will create more and there will be more to build up in my own flock eventually. But by sharing pivotal birds among ourselves - many benefit and leapfrog. Backups and favors banked and returned can be a program saver when you suddenly lose a pivotal bird in your own flock. And it still happens ocassionally unfortunately.

So new folks wanting in can find eggs and maybe day old chicks somewhere around the country. Ocassionaly juvies or adult splits. Rarely silkied POL or adult silkieds are going to be available anywhere unless some one is giving up on them and then usually dispersed to others all ready working on the project. RARE birds ya know.....

Yep, black silkied Ams are GOLD for all kinds of silkied color projects. I have one started bs chick and PRAYING for it to be a roo! Two other hardfeather blacks hopeful of splits - regardless of gender, would still be valuable to the program bred to silkieds. Now that I have one bs, the next 3 are promised to help others progress in thier programs. Could I use more myself? Sure could, but one will create more and there will be more to build up in my own flock eventually. But by sharing pivotal birds among ourselves - many benefit and leapfrog. Backups and favors banked and returned can be a program saver when you suddenly lose a pivotal bird in your own flock. And it still happens ocassionally unfortunately.

So new folks wanting in can find eggs and maybe day old chicks somewhere around the country. Ocassionaly juvies or adult splits. Rarely silkied POL or adult silkieds are going to be available anywhere unless some one is giving up on them and then usually dispersed to others all ready working on the project. RARE birds ya know.....

I've always known them as what I call them and don't plan to change it at this point :) Silkied Ameraucana

Early on I remember seeing the Silkie Feathered Ameraucana. Makes me think of a Silkie though :)

Last edited:
I always fear that someone will breed a Silkie to these birds, get it looking right then sell it as a SFA (like my abbreviation) people buying them and ruining the breed. I went into this when I saw Catkai's birds and fell in love hence, buying her eggs. I hatched out 5 SFA's. I have to admit I like the Blacks and Blues the best. I will be hatching these eggs this winter. They will have their own coop. My eggs are a gorgeous blue color.

So be we will now just say Silked Ameraucana. I don't plan on dropping out. I love colored eggs and this is a bonus. I have some Black Smooth feathered from Pips and Peeps I plan on breeding with them. None of mine are showing signs of health issues and are fat and sassy. I love the black one and the blue cockerel is gorgeous, I would love to show this at our National show in November. I wonder if it can be listed under some special variety?

Eden you sure have a problem with that double post thing, don't you
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom