What's wrong with their feathers?

Quote:
pop.gif

ETA: I'm glad they're doing better for you.

Last edited:
~ 6 weeks. The two living batches were hatched on 6/26 and 7/5, and went on grow feed on 8/6 and 8/16 respectively.

Quote:
I don't switch my birds from medicated until point-of-lay unless they're raised by a broody, and those never get the Amprolium. It takes longer to build a resistance than 6 weeks for ANY bird, and these are far weaker.

I have noticed they have a predilection for mites and lice like no other bird I've seen...except Silkies. It's probably too hard for them to preen them out. I have to do a careful regimen of Ivermectin once a month.

Quote:
I don't switch my birds from medicated until point-of-lay unless they're raised by a broody, and those never get the Amprolium. It takes longer to build a resistance than 6 weeks for ANY bird, and these are far weaker.

I have noticed they have a predilection for mites and lice like no other bird I've seen...except Silkies. It's probably too hard for them to preen them out. I have to do a careful regimen of Ivermectin once a month.

How do you do the regimen of Ivermectin? Is this the horse version you use?

kristen

Quote:

kristen

I just use the pour-on ivermectin, 5 drops on the skin, either the back of the neck or under a wing. Sometimes a drop on the head, too, if they've gotten them on their heads. it has to be on the skin or it won't work, as it's a systemic.

Works for 30 days.

Quote:

kristen

I just use the pour-on ivermectin, 5 drops on the skin, either the back of the neck or under a wing. Sometimes a drop on the head, too, if they've gotten them on their heads. it has to be on the skin or it won't work, as it's a systemic.

Works for 30 days.

Where do you purchase it? Do you use the same amount of drops for the younger chicks?

thanks for the info

kristen

Quote:
They are looking great. I can't wait to see them grown up.

Thank you!

They seem to die as soon as I switch from medicated starter to grow feed - as if they are unable to build a resistance.

Good news however - the Sulmet water has helped and I think they are recovering. Looks like I won't have to post dead baby chicken pictures for Jeremy.
hu.gif

yuckyuck.gif
but
celebrate.gif
they're looking better
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Works for 30 days.

Where do you purchase it? Do you use the same amount of drops for the younger chicks?

thanks for the info

kristen

got mine at the feed store ivermectin (eprinex (sp?) is the brand name i use... i use 1 to 10 drops depending on size... 10 for a adult LF... 5 for an Adult bantam... and on down to 1 for smaller chicks...

Quote:

thanks for the info

kristen

got mine at the feed store ivermectin (eprinex (sp?) is the brand name i use... i use 1 to 10 drops depending on size... 10 for a adult LF... 5 for an Adult bantam... and on down to 1 for smaller chicks...

Thank you very much, I'm going to check into that!

kristen

Back
Top Bottom