What's wrong with this hen's vent please?

Here's a photo of Ginger, just so you can see what she looks like from her good end! Thanks for your replies and support, I will let you know how we get on at the vet's on Wednesday.
AF1QipO9KznZnvIb34Yg8JTACc6NY6rfiUXxMTwiB6wu=s512-p-qv=p6kpvj503qbq8p0u1914gufdrlog0khnu,m=256da2fa7cfea26b42c08521159d73ad,x=,t=25-iv5705

Here's a photo of Ginger, just so you can see what she looks like from her good end! Thanks for your replies and support, I will let you know how we get on at the vet's on Wednesday.
AF1QipO9KznZnvIb34Yg8JTACc6NY6rfiUXxMTwiB6wu=s512-p-qv=p6kpvj503qbq8p0u1914gufdrlog0khnu,m=256da2fa7cfea26b42c08521159d73ad,x=,t=25-iv5705

:lol: I like this end of Ginger! What a sweet girl you have!
I hope she recovers soon. Please keep us posted.

Hello LittleMoss.

I’m glad Ginger is doing better.
I wonder if you could post the name of your vet and the area his practice is in. You don’t have a location set on your profile.
I’m trying to put together a bit of information on UK vets that will treat chickens.

We're having an issue with my hen right now and have bathed a few in recent years. If you haven't done much of that might I suggest getting two basins big enough to set her in, fill them with warm water, about 1/2 full, have towels ready to set her on when she comes out, with a little dawn dish soap (or Ivory) in the first basin, and set her in. Use a small towel over her head if she's a little excited. They calm right down and rather enjoy the soaking. Have scissors within reach for those feathers that might not want to let go of dried poop. After she's pretty cleaned up move her to the rinse basin and let her soak a little more. All mine go into a lovely quiet state and seemed to really like it. I lost the last of my grandmother's hens a couple months ago. She needed occasional bathing, and lived almost ten years. I miss her :( Good luck with yours.

We're having an issue with my hen right now and have bathed a few in recent years. If you haven't done much of that might I suggest getting two basins big enough to set her in, fill them with warm water, about 1/2 full, have towels ready to set her on when she comes out, with a little dawn dish soap (or Ivory) in the first basin, and set her in. Use a small towel over her head if she's a little excited. They calm right down and rather enjoy the soaking. Have scissors within reach for those feathers that might not want to let go of dried poop. After she's pretty cleaned up move her to the rinse basin and let her soak a little more. All mine go into a lovely quiet state and seemed to really like it. I lost the last of my grandmother's hens a couple months ago. She needed occasional bathing, and lived almost ten years. I miss her :( Good luck with yours.
Sorry for your loss. 10 years wow. I pray my girls live that long. And yes...you can love a chicken and miss her when she’s gone. :hit
The OP did a great job with soaking and caring for Ginger. Perhaps read this thread from the beginning cause it was really good.
Best wishes

I agree, give her a soaking and remove what looks like hardened poop. Inspect the vent for a prolapse.

Do you have a rooster?

While you are at it, feel that abdomen (red arrow). It's hard to tell in the photos but it looks a bit distended. What does that feel like - hard, soft, squishy, fluid filled, etc.
When was the last time this hen laid an egg?
Look her over really well for lice and mites too.

The other girl in the photo - her crop looks to be quite red, you may want to check her over as well.

View attachment 1554699
Dang! Looks like a drake had his way with her! That looks just awful. Poor girl!

Back
Top Bottom