What's wrong

19marvinn

Chirping
Jul 1, 2015

Why are my hens feathers falling out? I noticed right where the tail meets the back it got really fuzzy and there were no feathers. At certain points when she moves her tail you can see a definite bald spot. What do I do? And I should add that she is NOT bullied. She's at the top of the pecking order. Thanks

Mine look like that when they start to molt as well. One of mine just finished molting and she was losing all of those downy feathers, same as yours.

They aren't even a year old. Could it even be a molt!?
Yes, it could be molt. Some breeds (Easter Eggers in particular) can be more sensitive to the change light levels of fall and go into molt before they are a year old. If a pullet is over 8 months old by the time the days really start to shorten quickly, they can molt. Happens every year to at least a few of my pullets. I've got two this year that are molting lightly.

Yes, it could be molt. Some breeds (Easter Eggers in particular) can be more sensitive to the change light levels of fall and go into molt before they are a year old. If a pullet is over 8 months old by the time the days really start to shorten quickly, they can molt. Happens every year to at least a few of my pullets. I've got two this year that are molting lightly.

Oh Okay! She is an Easter egger. It's only her that's doing this. Nothing to worry about?

Oh Okay! She is an Easter egger. It's only her that's doing this. Nothing to worry about?
If she is truly molting, which is what it looks like, you should soon be able to see her little pin feathers coming through on the bald spots, so just keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom