Whats wrong?!

mcarroll616

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Mooresboro, North Carolina
This morning my rooster, started making some horrible breathing noises, crackling a little bit, like he was having a tough time. My husband and I went to our feed store, where he owners know a bit about chickens. She said it was probably a respiratory infection of some sort and gave me a couple doses of an antibiotic that as of right now I cant remember what it's called, I think it started with a D. Anyhow, she said to give it with some egg yolk to him, and a bit in the water for everyone else. Not sure if that was good advice or not, but I felt good about it.

Then I came home and noticed he did have watery poops, and like a green and yellow color. Not good, right? Could it be something wrong with his crop? No discharge from the nose or anything else yet. Everyone else seems fine and he is really acting normal. I have seen him drink but I haven't seen him eat anything.

Help?

Okay, I know people must be busy and I might be getting annoying but I am kinda freaking out.

They are sneezing now, at least one of them. I have already decided to get some more antibiotics tomorrow but I can't decide what to get.

Looking at posts and online I don't know what is wrong with them and I don't want to wait for anymore symptoms. The only place open around here on Sundays is Tractor Supply, but I am afraid the people there might not have the knowledge like a feed store does...

Pleeeeeeease help! :) Thanks

Duramycin likely will help; TSC generally has a good supply of medicines and such, but especially on Sunday it's unlikely the employees will be very knowledgeable. Scrambled egg does seem to help.

Can you isolate the sick ones from the rest of the flock, maybe move them inside the house (dog cage, spare bathroom, or some such can be a makeshift home)

Sorry your chickens are ill! I am still waiting for lab results after I took a chicken to the vet last Saturday. My chickens were wheezy and sneezing. The chicken I took to the vet started breathing funny 3 weeks ago. I really want to know what I should be treating, so hope I get results soon. I have 5 more separated from the rest.

Do you have a vet you can take them to? I didn't get very many responses on this board either. It's frustrating, but maybe most people haven't had sick chickens.

I researched avian respiratory diseases on the internet, but really had a hard time finding a disease that seems to match the symptoms. They vet did say she had "plaques" in her mouth so I am guessing wet fowl pox. We have tons of mosquitos here. Hope I find out soon.

A lady at our co-op said that there were a lot of people having problems with respiratory problems in chickens, she said it is so dusty this time of year. We haven't had rain in a long time.

I would definitely separate the sick ones.

Okay, I know people must be busy and I might be getting annoying but I am kinda freaking out.

They are sneezing now, at least one of them. I have already decided to get some more antibiotics tomorrow but I can't decide what to get.

Looking at posts and online I don't know what is wrong with them and I don't want to wait for anymore symptoms. The only place open around here on Sundays is Tractor Supply, but I am afraid the people there might not have the knowledge like a feed store does...

Pleeeeeeease help! :) Thanks

If you're giving them one antibiotic, don't go getting another one. Duramycin is a good overall one. The egg yolk is a good thing too, doesn't have to be cooked. They love them raw. Just breathe deeply and slowly and carry on. You don't want to overdose them on antibiotics or treatments. Do separate the sick ones but be aware that the entire flock may have been exposed so be watchful for another getting symptoms.

Thanks so much! I will just buy some more Duramycin. She only gave me two doses. I do have the two separated, but they are separated together. Probably not ideal, but we only have one place to put sick chickens! So far, the others seem okay, but these got sick so quick you never know.

Oh! Also, it looks like one of the sick roos is starting to molt. All his neck feathers are starting to come out. I don't know if they should be molting, of if they are molting beacuse they are sick... just thought it might help someone diagnose them!

Anything else I should buy? What do I feed the sick ones? They were eating layer crumbles, is that okay? They are 25 weeks old. I gave them some scrambled eggs this morning, and some uncooked egg yoke. Thanks for all the help!

Sounds like you're doing fine. Anything to help their bodies fight off the illness is good. Egg is great, maybe some yogurt with a bit of uncooked plain oatmeal in it, and if you have any Apple cider vinegar around (ACV) just a bit of that in their water might be helpful. The kind with teh "mother" is best but any will do for now. Don't go overboard on the "treats," just keep them eating good stuff like you're doing. Separating them from the others but keeping them together is fine. Idea is just to help keep the others healthy.

Well all the tractor Supplies in the area were sold out of Duramycin. I got some vitamin and electrolyte stuff and fed them to my whole flock, and my husband is going to stop by a feed store tomorrow to see if he can find some. They had a dose this morning and hopefully they will have another by tomorrow night. I thought the one rooster sounded a little better this afternoon, but it may have been wishful thinking. I did the yogurt thing, and the ACV with the "mother", eggs and yolk. Just hope they get better soon.

How long should I keep them separate from the flock after they are symptom free, assuming they do get better?

Back
Top Bottom