What's YOUR chickens' favorite treat?

CHIA!!! I soak the seeds for fifteen minutes, sometimes mixing in some probiotic powder, and they clean the bowl! Great omega 3s, calcium, and protien! They nearly run me over to get it!

My girls absolutely love sunflower seed kernels, they go nuts when they see the little white container I bring them in. They will practically knock me down to get them. But, they don't care too much for scratch feed, they eat it, but not that well.

Is it bad if my 6 chickens won't eat worms? Also why isnt any one on this thread! I love hearing what diffrent foods chickens like to eat.
D.gif

Wow I have never seen a chicken that wouldn't eat worms. My girls eat pretty much you put in front of them. They even love jambalaya lol must be because they live in the south.

My 15 girls love crickets, mealworms, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, canned corn and grapes. I just read online that kale is toxic to chickens. I thought they could eat all greens and have given them kale!! Anyone know anything about this?

Hard boiled eggs do not encourage them to eat their own eggs. It is good protein for them. Feeding them crushed egg SHELLS (instead of oyster shell) can encourage them to eat their own eggs.

Ohh Ok... By any chance do you know if it is OK for chickens to eat chicken meat as long as it is cooked? I read it was ok but think it is like cannibalizes, is it OK and healthy or can it create problems to their healthy and eggs?

It's perfectly ok for chickens to eat cooked chicken. I have read they actually love the taste of it, which, I am with you on that, is very cannibalistic. I just can't go that far with it. I read online recently where someone said he throws left over cooked chicken into the pen and they pick it off of the bones. Steak maybe, but not chicken. Chickens are not vegetarians, so it is good to give them some meat. They absolutely love crickets and it is fun to watch them run around catching them. Mealworms are a favorite for sure. You can buy those at the feed store or, I have seen them for sale at Walmart (cheaper).

I buy the large cans of mixed vegetables and also fruit cocktail for treats. They love both and it gives them a variety to choose from. Watermelon, cantaloupes, and any type of pasta or noodles also seem to be a big hit.

Back
Top Bottom