What's your favorite chicken breed and why?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken farmer, Oct 16, 2013.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Tell us your favorite chicken breed and tell why.

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Have not had many chickens.But really like my buff orpingtons. They are very friendly and lay lots of eggs.

3. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I've been wanting to get some buff orpingtons for a while I might get some chicks this spring

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I've had all kinds of breeds and the one that always stands out is Faverolle. Beautiful birds, EXTREMELY friendly, talkative, huge personality, great layers, resilient.

I've also loved my sussex for the same reason, though they aren't quite as friendly as the faverolle they're a close second. Hollands and Ameraucana are on the same level as well, with Marans - though they really just depend on the line as far as their temperament is concerned.

I also hold a special place for Spitzhauben - they are really friendly with a huge personality, absolutely gorgeous, though they aren't the best layers.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Ditto love ours.

6. joey2456

joey2456 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    Easter eggers. Best chicken out there in my opinion. They are funny, nice, and beautiful birds, and it's really cool how they lay blue and green eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by