What's your favourite thing about chickens

I just love seeing them in the yard, kind of reminds me of simpler times. You can just feel all the tensions leave your body. And they're funny, and very social. When I'm working in the garden, they're right there with me...looking for bugs and "talking". Love hearing Rocky crow....it's so funny. And, chasing the grand kids thru the yard.....hysterical. They provide me with lots of smiles!
D.gif

Rose

Last edited:
Hard to choose just one favorite thing... there are so many great things about chickens!
smile.png

I think if I had to narrow it down to just one thing, I would have to say it's hearing my rooster crow in the morning... I've recently started keeping chickens again after a long absence, and I didn't realize how much I missed hearing that until I had it again. Some of my neighbors have roosters, and I can hear them crowing in the distance, but it's nothing like having one right outside my door. It just makes my morning.

Now, I must say that this may not be my favorite thing for long, since I have my very first batch of eggs in the incubator due to hatch next week!
lol.png

They are delightfully nosy. So curious about everything. Cracks me up the way they will look you up and down as though formulating an opinion of the way you look today.
lol.png

Chellester wrote
Hard to choose just one favorite thing... there are so many great things about chickens!

Well you don't have to narrow it down to one thing.
You can post your favourite THINGS about them.
I'd just love to here your opinion.​

You know, after I read this question, I thought for a while and I can't honestly say what it is?
They are dirty, messy, need a lot of attention, fragile, strong, comical, cuddly, flighty, ... the contrasts are endless!!!!
Maybe that's what it is!

They feed me relatively cheaply, which makes a *huge* difference when one barely survives on a fixed income. They also get rid of a lot of the bugs that sometimes get in the house...especially spiders (I have a phobia of the darned things unfortunately. My friends laugh about it because I'll stop on the road to save a poisonous snake to keep it from getting run over, but won't get 5 feet to a spider!).

They are they only animal that I can have that is close to bigger livestock. They also get me up in the morning and give me a feeling of accomplishment from raising them from chickhood to adulthood. Chickens are full of excitement as well. Seeing the first real feathers, building their coop, their first dust bath, their first egg, there is just so much to look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom