Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

ok, gotta know, what is this(toepunch)?
idunno.gif

I always toe punch mine when they come out of the incubator.

I sure do remember the comments about the darker hens my pictures ended up on the australian website for marans we talked about them having too much mahogany but I've seen first hand what happens when you use such a hen the offspring comes out looking like spotted or more like a btb. I've not been able to duplicate another hen like that using the exact same birds in the breeding it was just a thing that poped up.
. I'm definitely happy would be a collar that I'm producing in the size of the birds except for the black in hackles I'm happy with the hens oh and combe meed alot of work

Randy, the black in the hackle is something you want so do not try and breed it out.

The approved standard calls for the back to be DARK Wheaten color. This is a change from the original. I like the color on your female wheatens.

ok, gotta know, what is this(toepunch)?:idunno

it looks kind of like a paper hole punch and what you doing to punch a hole in the wedding on their feet there's like 3 places you can punch a hole at so you have a many ways to mark them as individuals having 3 slots you can park 2 holes in the slot
I'm not much for math but there's many different markings you can do

Randy, the black in the hackle is something you want so do not try and breed it out.

The approved standard calls for the back to be DARK Wheaten color. This is a change from the original. I like the color on your female wheatens.

thanks don for clarifying that for me I kinda like a little bit of black in the hackles I think it makes them look good.
I actually love the color on the dark mahogany colored back
hens .but people I've sold them to have showed me pictures of the offspring from mydark h.enss and roosters and I did like the outcome.. I'm gonna start hatching eggs very soon but I have 2 girls an a boy that I picked out special from reading last year and I'm very anxious to start hatching there eggs but i had a wayndott in with them amd i want to give them another week to clean amy traces of him

ouch but thanks for explaining
it looks kind of like a paper hole punch and what you doing to punch a hole in the wedding on their feet there's like 3 places you can punch a hole at so you have a many ways to mark them as individuals having 3 slots you can park 2 holes in the slot
I'm not much for math but there's many different markings you can do

yeah-we can't lose this thread. I have been quiet for a while because my husband had sudden back surgery and I haven't had time to post. But I've still been following. It would be terrible to lose this thread. I still do not have a rooster but I will try to get pics of my hens. Randy, the one from you is really looking nice. I got a bantam sized wheaten egg this morning and am wondering if it was from her since we are getting larger eggs from the older birds. If it was her, it was her first egg! She's only 23 weeks old though, which seems early since the others were about 40 weeks when they started. I will keep an eye on it and let you know!

Edited to correct a spelling error

Last edited:
Excellent to see posts here again!!

I am in shock at the quick changes these WM make as they grow. Here is a pic of my favorite but goofiest and least SOP cockerel. I posted this 2 weeks ago when he was 13 weeks old. His breast was all orange.

Here is a pic I took today at 15 weeks old. There may be hope for him yet!!

yeah-we can't lose this thread. I have been quiet for a while because my husband had sudden back surgery and I haven't had time to post. But I've still been following. It would be terrible to lose this thread.  I still do not have a rooster but I will try to get pics of my hens.  Randy, the one from you is really looking nice.  I got a bantam sized wheaten egg this morning and am wondering if it was from her since we are getting larger eggs from the older birds. If it was her, it was her first egg! She's only 23 weeks old though, which seems early since the others were about 40 weeks when they started. I will keep an eye on it and let you know!

Edited to correct a spelling error

pm me with your address again. mine are laying like crazy

AZBootsie, your rooster has a lot more black than mine (which was solid red). I noticed you said he was your favorite but least SOP. How is the color on the others?

Randy, I am pm'ing you.

Debbi, for some reason the Female hackle stripe was left out of the Standard. That one female has a little much , but would be a great breeder for color. It is very hard to get the colors right without the stripes. All of my wheaten have always had the black stripe in the hackle. Don

Ok, thanks Don, that is exactly what I wanted to know!

Back
Top Bottom