Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

hey Wheaten people, I have a question for you! My "pullets" are 1 month old and I was wondering if they get black on their wings at this age? I believe the lady said roos get lots of black, if the girls dont ive got a bunch of wheten roos :(

That's hysterical! Your son did a good job on that video. Have you tried giving them cabbage that way? My chickens love it.

Thanks!
That video featured our rooster, and three of our hens, Bridgette, Colette, and Candice. Our fourth, Rose, was in the laying box hard at work while the others were busy being movie stars.
We will try a cabbage soon. Maybe we can shoot a video about that too! Do you think a string will hold it up?

I have a question for everyone about egg shape. I have two Wheaten pullets that have just begun to lay. The one I affectionately refer to as my "ugly" one (bad comb, way too much red) lays a very Marans-y round egg. The other one that is better in type lays an egg that is shaped just like any other chicken egg. With all the emphasis on breeding for depth of color, how much do you all focus on egg shape?

Thanks kim, and yes Roger I t hink I have the yellow leg thing under control. I have eggs to go in the incubator this weekend with the new rooster . I'm going to see how the new offspring turn out. as we all know it takes a long long time to know what you get from a test hatch I'm in it for the long haul. I said that over 6 years ago and I'm still not there yet .lol

Back
Top Bottom