Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

I fail to see anything out of the ordinary. Do you believe the black should not be in the wings, will eventually have black in the tail feathers also.
I guess I was surprised to see the black area under the fuzz....they weren't feathers. I have never had a wheaten and I guess I thought they would be all yellow and then the feathers would grow out black or tan. I will just wait to see what happens.

I fail to see anything out of the ordinary. Do you believe the black should not be in the wings, will eventually have black in the tail feathers also.
I guess I was surprised to see the black area under the fuzz....they weren't feathers. I have never had a wheaten and I guess I thought they would be all yellow and then the feathers would grow out black or tan. I will just wait to see what happens.

Here is the chick I hatched last week. It was born with black spines in the wing area under all the yellow fuzz. It is suppose to be a Wheaten Marans. Can you tell sex yet? I got the eggs from a man who had entered his eggs in the Poultry show in GA.
I am sorry I missed your question, yes wheaten chicks are supposed to be yellow. My sister lives in Dawsonville, I live near the end of 400 in Murrayville :) So we are neighbors!

if I was to guess the sex I'd say rooster because of that pointed wing shape.. but it looks fine
Here is the chick I hatched last week. It was born with black spines in the wing area under all the yellow fuzz. It is suppose to be a Wheaten Marans. Can you tell sex yet? I got the eggs from a man who had entered his eggs in the Poultry show in GA.

Just curious if you've noticed that the pointy wing shape applies to other breeds, or you have just noticed it in the Wheatens??

I have no knowledge of any other breeds and quite frankly very little knowledge of Wheaton except what I've learned my self in the past 6 years of breeding them I started with two roosters an 3 hens.... I have never brought any new blood to my closed flock (yet). everything I've learned is from first hand observations

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to the BYC and I JUST ordered some Wheaten Maran hatching eggs that will be here next month. Great to find this thread and all of those who love Wheaten Marans. Several years ago I was looking at getting into some chickens and I came across the Wheaten Marans and the Welsummers. Found some local Welsummers and have been working with them since. Recently started thinking about my original interest in the Wheatens and decided to pull the trigger on some hatching eggs. I've been working through the back log of pages and have read some interesting discussions.

Best Regards,

Michael

Here's some pictures of my new Rooster.
I posted here earlier that our rooster died recently. We think the problem was genetic since the breeder didn't have much diversity in the bloodline.

I started looking for a breeding age rooster and man o man was it difficult to find one. I quickly learned that no one is going to have an older male unless they have intentions for him. It was an almost impossible search. I hooked up with some folks that are trying to preserve this breed and they were very happy to help, and finally found me a wonderful rooster (with the Cottage Hill bloodline).

The pictures are on the day of his arrival (last Wednesday the 13th) to Florida after traveling overnight from Tennessee. I had put him in an isolation cage because I didn't want him to be hen pecked and all while he was dealing with getting over the trip. He didn't seem disoriented or anything and was actually annoyed that he couldn't get right to the ladies. I placed the cage right next to the main coop so they could get acquainted. He joined the females the next day.

Aside from a thick Tennessee accent he is doing fine and I couldn't be happier. He is about twice the girth of the Rooster he is replacing and very mild mannered. I hope to have some great results when I get my new incubator in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom