Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

20346_jjkgjituigui.jpg
20346_uiudti757.jpg

I can't resist ...
big_smile.png

This sweetie was one week old this past Thursday! I have been thinking about a name but guess I better wait until I know the gender ...

88080_october_23_2011_001.jpg

88080_october_23_2011_002.jpg

88080_october_23_2011_003.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
i am bad at this untill a few more days butif i had to guess id say hen .most of the feathers start out black untill color os added to the feathers but ot takes me 12 days normaly . as far as shank or foot color goes hopefully they will change in about a month . loke Vc says the yoak consumption always makes chicks feet yellow but loke i said befor i habemt worked put the recessive yellow shanks yet but im wprking pn it
i will be worming the entire flock next weekend and two weeks befor i can collect eggs for hatching. then i will ship u more eggs for hatching. hopefully 5 or 6 weeks from now i will start artifical lighting next week as well to bring egg prpduction back . 14 birds not a egg this week .lol . i plan to use one of the rposters pictured
most likely the largest one with a leg band . my sister named him wham it was a chick because he always sang
his name is singer lol go figure i hope tje chock pictured os a rooster necause i lnow u wanted one. like i promised u befor i will help u get the flock u wanted but it takes time best wishes ,,,,, randy

Quote:
thank you for the complaments. the two birds laying on the dirt are old hens or what i call old 4 years and molting and badly faded from the sun .kind of washed out . any way .4 racon.s on the porch all in a row . 2 funny

Wheaten Marans are a new infatuation for me. I have no clue what the SOP is. But, I really really like the 2 hens you are talking about. I think the sun faded color is much more elegant than the darker Wheatens.

Quote:
thank you for the complaments. the two birds laying on the dirt are old hens or what i call old 4 years and molting and badly faded from the sun .kind of washed out . any way .4 racon.s on the porch all in a row . 2 funny

Wheaten Marans are a new infatuation for me. I have no clue what the SOP is. But, I really really like the 2 hens you are talking about. I think the sun faded color is much more elegant than the darker Wheatens.

yea my experianc is stay clear of dark hens . to dark of hens will turn in to btb real quick. stay to the light side this os a pic of mine of two hens id say dont use the dark ones
20346_light_hen_darkhen.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
This is exactly why I will still be excited if this little chick is a hen. I think I will have to cull almost all ten of the ones I have ... one is red with black flecks, another is not quite red but VERY dark with black flecks, one is a gold color (actually very pretty color, but NOT anything like a wheaten). Several of the others are very dark. As you know, my wheaten rooster from the same eggs ended up being BTB, as did the one rooster that I looked at purchasing from someone who got eggs from the same person on here as I did. BTB runs strong in these and I don't want to take ANY chances. Will try to get pics soon. Thank you so much, Randy, for all of your help and encouragement. And thank you so much for the eggs! I wish more people were more like you!

Back
Top Bottom