Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

hi, new to marans, anyway have a question
i bought a pair of blue wheaten chicks , hen and rooster from greenfire farms, raised them up , they're about 5 months old now, well, the roos legs have gone out from under him and he doesn't walk to well, what i want to know, what can i pair her up with to maybe get more blue wheatens down the road?
thanks for help
sharron

If you could find a nice wheaten rooster, you should get about 50 % wheaten and 50 % blue wheaten from the cross. If you find another blue wheaten, you should get 25% splash wheaten, 25% wheaten and 50 % blue wheaten from the cross?

I am pretty sure that is correct ... right, guys??

Correct.

Blue Wheaten X Blue Wheaten = 50% Blue Wheaten, 25% Wheaten & 25% Splash Wheaten

Blue Wheaten X Wheaten = 50% Blue Wheaten, 50% Wheaten

Quote:
Sharron ~ what are you feeding them? These birds need higher protein in their diets. Exactly, what do you mean in "the roos legs have gone out from under him"? Got any pics? It very well could be a dietary thing, unless he injured himself?

I have a question about the Wheaten and Splash breeding. I have BCM and Wheaten Marans, and this past September I hatched out a couple of eggs from a friends marans and got one BCM cockerel and a splash hen. When she gets of age which should she be bred with to get the best standard. I should say the closes Marans standard? I hope this question is understood.
Thanks
Rita

Copper Marans should only be bred with other Copper Marans, whether they are Black or Blue.

Wheaten Marans should only be bred with other Wheaten Marans, whether they are Black or Blue.

Crossing the two varieties will result in mixed color mutts.

If the Splash hen you hatched came from Copper breeding then she should only be crossed with other Copper birds.

Quote:
Breed her (Splash pullet) to the Black Copper, you'll get 100% Blue Copper. Don't breed the Wheatens to the Black Coppers, you will muddy your colors. Now if you wanted to breed a Splash hen to a Wheaten roo, then you may get Splash and Blue Wheatens. Don't hold me to this last one, I don't have Wheatens, but others will chime in.

Quote:
Sharron ~ what are you feeding them? These birds need higher protein in their diets. Exactly, what do you mean in "the roos legs have gone out from under him"? Got any pics? It very well could be a dietary thing, unless he injured himself?

to be honest, not too sure, my husband picks it up, i know when they were young, i had them on turkey, game started, then finisher. to be honest, i think it was an older rooster or hen that might have hurt him, going to try to get my friend, a vet tech to look at him , it more the right leg than the left

Quote:
thanks, maybe i will try to find a wheaten, or in the spring buy some eggs and hatch, i know i love the hens colors, shes gorgeous, the roo, not so much but sure hate to lose him but might have to put him down.
thanks everyone for the help
sharron

My Wheaten hen, I plan on hatching more next year, she's one of my favorites.

IMG_5493.jpg

Back
Top Bottom