Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Aww, sorry Randy!
hugs.gif
Did she have a vaulted skull?? I have one here that I thought was a goner. One of the bad little boys seems to think that romance includes pecking the tar out of their heads. I was in the run and saw him really peck one of my blue partridge girls. She screamed and so did I!
rant.gif
Within 2 days she had a knot on her head, and by the third day, she had WRY NECK!! I mean she turned her head completely upside down! Then she'd flip it back up to normal and go on. She only seemed to get it twisted when she got stressed, so I assumed a brain injury. I gave her the vitamin protocol, but it did not help. Then the weather got really cold. That seemed to help, she must've had some swelling going on, and the cold reduced it. She is fine now.
hu.gif
It's hard to find homes for the Silkie roos out here too, and I have a few that need to go! The head pecker in particular!!
smack.gif

A vaulted skull is a cerebral hernia, in otherwords, the bump on top of their head is the brain covered in skin and not bone. Some Silkies are vaulted and some not. Next time you have some chicks, you can tell at hatch which they have. Needless to say, the vaulted skulls are more prone to brain injury. If she was wheezing and/or rattling when she breathed, it was more than likely respiratory.

I have 5 Wheaten Marans pullets, and they are all different colors!?!?! Two lighter buff looking ones, two darker reddish ones, and one that looks like she has faint spots all over... Which one is the correct color???

I have found that the darker wheatens actually come from black copper/wheaten cross. The lighter buff should be the correct color. Check back for Randy's pictures, he's got some beauties.

normal looking 1 month or so
20346_mvc00039.jpg
i stay away from hens as dark the ones in this pic but thats just me
20346_light_hen_darkhen.jpg
i like the darker color of the hen on left but the off spring dont look so nice i shouls say out of my orgonal 5 hens and 1 roo breeding them for 5 years only produced only a few dark hens out of a few hundred raised. its funny how even a closed flock can still have faults show up after five years and hundreds of chicks raised. i had some yellow legs show up last year.and only found out when i used one of his sons for breeding

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom