Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Debbi. a week or so ago someone from pa. posted a picture of a nice Wheaten male with no white in tail or wing.

April had two cock birds at Ohio National and both had the white tail Coverts.

too what advantage is it to run lighting day and night ? i had no clue people did that . i would of thought you nwed the wright amount of dark and light to cycle the egg production.. i just dont know. but theres alot i dont know. .and i am asking in all seriousness

Randy, To be honest I really do not know if there is an advantage to running the light 24x7 or not. It has always been better for me as I work with my birds a lot after dark. I can walk in at anytime and do what I have to do and not worry about turning the lights on and waking the birds up. For sure it cost more in electric bills , but for myself I believe it is worth it for me.

None of the outside buildings have electric. Look at my photo albums and you can see how the inside pens are setup. I hatch a lot of winter chicks.

I like the combs on these two. This is my best rooster no cotton tail or white feathers. My other rooster has too many points as well as cotton tail and I think this hen has the best comb out of my girls. Anyone else got pics of combs?

We do lights 24/7 in the fall/winter. The birds go to bed like they would in the dark and we have actually found it to be an advantage if a small possum gets into the coop the birds are alerted to the predator and have a chance of getting away VS. dark easy pickings because the birds can't see. Egg laying is increased just like with any other light stimulation practice. The duck houses are on 24/7 all year because we put the ducks up to bed at night and it shines in the yard making it easy to herd them all in for the night.

Randy, To be honest I really do not know if there is an advantage to running the light 24x7 or not. It has always been better for me as I work with my birds a lot after dark. I can walk in at anytime and do what I have to do and not worry about turning the lights on and waking the birds up. For sure it cost more in electric bills , but for myself I believe it is worth it for me.

None of the outside buildings have electric. Look at my photo albums and you can see how the inside pens are setup. I hatch a lot of winter chicks.

Don in your long coop building what are the barrels standing upside down for?

In your stacked barrels what do you raise? I saw a similar setup used for conditioning show birds, is that it?

thanks,
Dan

actually the first time I thought to look at your profile pics and ask these questions,,,lol

Debbi. a week or so ago someone from pa. posted a picture of a nice Wheaten male with no white in tail or wing.

April had two cock birds at Ohio National and both had the white tail Coverts.
Yes, Don saw that bird, and I believe that is Chicken Crazy 12's bird? Would fate have it she is here in MO too?? May have to PM her to see what we can do here. Sue, got a nice spare cockerel you want to part with? Like towards the end of winter/spring? Gosh, I knew better than to get back on here, you folks are all enablers!
gig.gif
And she has Paint Silkies too! I hate you all!!
lau.gif

Don in your long coop building what are the barrels standing upside down for?

In your stacked barrels what do you raise? I saw a similar setup used for conditioning show birds, is that it?

thanks,
Dan

actually the first time I thought to look at your profile pics and ask these questions,,,lol
I use those for nest box, since they are round have real good luch with the eggs, work for bantam or large fowl. The barrel wall was built to keep the Buff Brahma bantams in when needed. Never a sick bird in those barrels. They also are ok for large fowl females, little small for large fowl males. I copied them from what the gamefowl people use.

Thanks Don,,,I was thinking nest box,,,(only option that I could think of),,,were these used with broodies?

I saw Al had a barrel wall setup, he used his for conditioning,,,,now I have to ask him what he was conditioning,,lol

Did you ever get the trap nests figured out? That might be a winter project here

Thanks Don,,,I was thinking nest box,,,(only option that I could think of),,,were these used with broodies?

I saw Al had a barrel wall setup, he used his for conditioning,,,,now I have to ask him what he was conditioning,,lol

Did you ever get the trap nests figured out? That might be a winter project here
Dan, I have not completed the trapnest project yet. The barrels are not large enough for conditioning large fowl Males.

I use the incubator to hatch all chicks as I vaccinate all when they come out of the incubator. I set one day a week and this way do not waste too much vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom