Wheaten Crele Orpington Project, Reboot

Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
This is a reboot thread for the continuing project of a new color variation of Crele Orpingtons.

Remember to be respectful to one another, I was given a hard time while I was just starting out, & still learning genetics, & breeding. For a long time I was debating whether, or not I'd make a new thread on this project due to the amount of stuff I've experienced in the past.
Genetics is still a learning process for me.

The birds I started with for the project are Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, & Australorps.

Barred Rock for Barring.

Buff Orpington for Wheaten

Australorp for more Wheaten

They seemed to have worked, & to know my Buff Orpingtons actually carry Partridge, & Wildtype was a good thing, because that's one component for the coloration.

I will add more details, & pictures in a few.

Last edited:
This project started out as more of an experiment with hatching eggs from my own birds. I was curious about hatching, & seeing how the chicks will turn out. I was still in high school.

Once I saw the chicks after hatching under a Broody Orpington, I fell in love, & wanted to create something unique, & began researching as much as I could about chicken genetics as possible.
The chicks that hatched were black with yellow face, & Head Spot. He grew upto be a gorgeous rooster who helped start this project. Second chick was black with chocolate brown face no headspot, she grew into one of the hens I still have. She's dark Buff, & black with some partridge patterning. The 3rd chick grew into Buff, & black with somewhat of partridge patterning with some spots on her breast. 4th chich was a pure buff Orpington, but she died at six weeks. Was cannibalized by the adult birds one day.

I don't have pictures of the chicks on this phone.

Here's the the adult birds who jump started my project.

Buff Orpington/Barred Rock crosses.
20201106_202845.jpg
received95504911940040811-1.jpg
Buff Orpington/Australorp cross. I have two, just took pictures of one. One has a more prominent partridge pattern, I still have her, so I may take a picture tomorrow.
20201106_202359.jpg
I refer to the first crosses as F0.

Here's my F2s.
They're from a Sibling breeding. The pullets didn't inherit the barring gene. One of them is Red Wheaten with one copy of the Columbian gene.
20210225_141859.jpg
20210225_141953.jpg
The Golden girl carries Partridge, she has some partridge patterning, but the Columbian is a big influence on how much the pattern shows.

Here's the cockerel out of this breeding.
20201229_131007.jpg
Here they are as Chicks.
20200627_155355.jpg

Back
Top Bottom