Wheaten Crele Orpington Project, Reboot

Pics
Yep i am facinated by this
Okay, nice. The brown chicks are a bit of a mystery.

I did find Db chick down, & it's called ebc, instead of Db. This down type looks like partridge with wider white stripes on their backs.
Screenshot_20210517-173625_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, nice. The brown chicks are a bit of a mystery.

I did find Db chick down, & it's called ebc, instead of Db. This down type looks like partridge with wider white stripes on their backs.
That photo is showing chicks with different alleles at the e locus:
E (Extended black)
ER (Birchen)
eWh (Wheaten)
e+ (wild type, sometimes called Duckwing)
eb (brown, sometimes called Partridge)
ebc (Buttercup, because it was found in the Buttercup breed of chicken)

Db is a different gene, at a different locus. It restricts black, similar to how the Columbian gene restricts black.

I find that photo on this page:
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html

And there is a note:
"Above are the typical e locus down patterns, without columbian-like restrictors (except maybe ebc chick- Db)."

So the ebc chick might have Db as well, or it might not--the person writing the page is not sure. But ebc and Db are two different genes, not different names for one gene.

That photo is showing chicks with different alleles at the e locus:
E (Extended black)
ER (Birchen)
eWh (Wheaten)
e+ (wild type, sometimes called Duckwing)
eb (brown, sometimes called Partridge)
ebc (Buttercup, because it was found in the Buttercup breed of chicken)

Db is a different gene, at a different locus. It restricts black, similar to how the Columbian gene restricts black.

I find that photo on this page:
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html

And there is a note:
"Above are the typical e locus down patterns, without columbian-like restrictors (except maybe ebc chick- Db)."

So the ebc chick might have Db as well, or it might not--the person writing the page is not sure. But ebc and Db are two different genes, not different names for one gene.
I think I misread something on The Coop.org. I could have sworn it said ebc was Db. I'll have to find it again.

I know what Db does.

This description has similarities to the ebc chick down.

"The Db gene (when homozygous) significantly changes chick down pattern/colour, in all E locus alleles, except for eWh. This gene was named after its trait of modifying ER - black down to brown shades (in some genotypes, the brown may be restricted to the head region- i.e. black body unchanged). With e+ and eb, the Db gene modifies pheomelanin shade to very pale gold-brown to cream/white, & modifies dorsal striping pattern on the back & head - widens light stripes on the back, & may reduce/fade "arrow-head" stripe on the head."

It's seems to dilute abit according to the description too.

My birds don't have Birchen, so the brown color can't be due to that.

One of the yellow chicks is very rapid to feather out, she already has pin feathers on it's back that are growing in. Did I accidentally create a Super Chicken? The others are just starting to grow their shoulder feathers, & already have their tail feathers, except the cockerel.
They turn 2 weeks old on Wednesday.

Never had one feather out this fast.

One of the yellow chicks is very rapid to feather out, she already has pin feathers on it's back that are growing in. Did I accidentally create a Super Chicken? The others are just starting to grow their shoulder feathers, & already have their tail feathers, except the cockerel.
They turn 2 weeks old on Wednesday.

Never had one feather out this fast.

I don't know why the one feathering much faster than the others. It sounds like you already have fast feathering chickens, and now this one is even faster :idunno

Back
Top Bottom