Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello everyone, this a continuation of a crele project that I'm having fun doing. If you haven't seen it, go check it out.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask? If you have any comments, or suggestions, please keep them possitive, & friendly?
My project crele is Wheaten based, to be more specific, I'm using Extended Wheaten, or EWh. It also involves Barring genes Bb+ & B-, & Extend Black genes E/E.

This is the result of the crossing.
0801191551.jpg
0801191552.jpg

Honey, those traits don't breed true.
Only the barring does.

You do know this, don't lie to us.
Please don't call me honey?
I wouldn't lie anyways.
Let's just get off the feather subject, & wait for the chicks to hit 6 weeks old, so that way we know for sure what their gender is?

Agreed, I think the term sex-linked and auto-sexing has been used interchangeably by the OP to the confusion of others. The terms are not synonymous. There are several auto-sexing breeds that are sex-able at hatch. These breeds are purebred. The sex-linked chickens are indeed hybrids and are bred by crossing two different pure bred chickens (Rhode Island Red x Barred Rock for example) to produce chicks that are sex-able at hatch. The sex-linked trait is only passed on in the initial, parent cross. If you bred Black Sex-links to one another, the resulting offspring would not remain Sex-linked, and would matter-of-factly only be hybrids.

I also think it is important to note that no one is being"mean", rather people are attempting to educate and stop the spread of misinformation so that individuals who are less informed do not come across false information and regurgitate it as fact. ;)

I'm not "misinformed," I've done my research, & studies, & I do so every day when I get the chance.
This is what I don't understand about you. If you have the knowledge why not share it?
You often speak of how highly educated you are but you won't help others.
I myself wouldn't say I'm highly educated. I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little.
I don't research unless I really have to because it's not my thing. I like learning from doing and I've been doing with chickens for a long time.
That gives me some knowledge and in a way a different way of learning then a lot of the younger ones here that grew up with the internet and ways to get info at light speed compared to how I did it.
I love coming here and seeing different perspectives and learning about stuff I never dealt with before.
I also love to share what I know with others whenever I can. And it's most fun when you can be a part of someone else getting excited about a subject you know and help them understand something they didn't before.

Why in the world do you bring stuff up that others like myself disagree with or don't understand but then you want to drop it.
Why not stand behind what you say and explain it or share where you're getting your information.
It's like you're constantly saying ha ha I'm right and you all are all wrong. I'm highly educated and have done the research but I can't waste my time explaining anything to you or sharing resources.
That seems mean to me.

@Mosey2003 breeds Barred Plymouth Rocks according the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection. He has some knowledge of the breeding practiced by breeders in the UK with male and female lines. Perhaps he can explain the concept better than I can.

No, but what is the point when APA judges would clearly disqualify any birds shown that don't meet the SOP when showing? Additionally you can't just walk out to the chicken pen and wave a magic wand and in the first generation expect to see something the UK breeders have been working on for much, much longer.
I'm a she, btw ;)

As to the whole Barred Rock 'thing' - yes, they breed them differently in the UK, and I believe that's how they do it in Australia, too. I do know that people in Australia will typically say if they have dark barred or light barred, thus my assumption.

The rights or wrongs of the different methods are kind of murky and personal opinion, I think. Plymouth Rocks ARE an American breed. So, why do the Brits breed them differently than we do? I think they have a different or even stricter interpretation of the standard. As far as I remember, our standard doesn't specify that males and females should actually be barred differently. Do we allow it? Obviously, as it's the way we do it here. Could we breed them the same way the Brits do? I'm sure we could.

The point of using the sports (solid black birds) and light and dark barred birds is to try to have males and females that are barred the same.

I'm actually not a huge expert on it, I just know what I've read and it seems like that UK article about breeding with the sports is the first result on Google and has been for a long time, because I remember being really confused and had almost decided not to breed them at all because it's an awful lot of work maintaining four flocks just to produce some showbirds.

To the last point, if you're thinking a dark barred male or a light barred female would be disqualified, I don't think they would. I've never heard anyone talk about such, and I know I've seen pictures with both lighter and darker males being shown, so... Blacks are also accepted I do believe.

Barred Plymouth Rocks are emphatically not a sex-linked hybrid, regardless. They are a variety of a heritage American breed.

They're hybrids, that's what makes Barred Rocks sex-linked.
Do you know of any purebred chickens that are sex-linked? I bet there's only a few. ;)
Like I asked earlier in my thread, I would like to get off this subject for right now, please?
They're autosexing. Due to the barring gene. Hens can only have one copy, so are darker. Roosters have two copies, so are lighter. Most breeds that have the barring gene are autosexing. Crele OEGBs, bielefelders, legbars, cuckoo marans, etc.
Let's say you're right; what is the cross? And why would someone make a barred rock hybrid when they could just use the breed's already existing autosexing traits?

Back
Top Bottom