Wheaton Ameracauna hen?

missred871

Eggxhausted Momma
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Perry GA
Okay so I DID buy these from a breeder and she said they were ameracaunas, once the were full grown I noticed none of them had solid colorings, she said they could be mixed colors. But I just figured that she was full of it and they were all EEs..... I am rethinking this..... my last girl and one of her sisters that passed away a while back looked identical and I think she is a wheaton. Can you tell me if I am right?
Clean legs, slate colored, lays a BLUE egg, bearded and muffed.

Here are a few pictures (unfortunately she has a crooked beak and I have a feeling she carries some kind of gene for it since both of the babies I hatched from her ended up with it when none of my other babies do......

56502_dscf5845.jpg

(ignore the black spots that is something she got into in the yard not her coloring)

56502_158.jpg

here is her Egg, BLUE

56502_dscf5847.jpg

this is her and one of the roosters I sold and the one I still have (the really red and orange one)

56502_photography_of_animals_8-30-10_037.jpg

this was Sookie she passed away last year but had the same coloring as Amelia and also layed a blue egg

ETA: If the roosters appear to be a specific color of Ameracauna please let me know...

Last edited:
She's an EasterEgger.... Seems close close to Wheaten coloring, but actually not
smile.png
Pretty birds, though.

Here is a wheaten hen.

normal_wheatenf.jpg

Last edited:
yeah I kinda figured she was an EE that is what I have been calling her, but like I said the BREEDER I bought them from said they were pure ameracauna but that the pen was full of mixed colors so I am fairly sure that is why she still has slate legs and a blue egg LOL. Oh well, she is a sweet girl anyway.

Quote:
Well, I hate to say it but, sadly, there are breeders who misrepresent their birds purposefully or don't know the difference at all.

It's possible that she's non-standard, but HIGHLY unlikely. There's no reason to mix the colors as they are worth more if they are a pure bred in accepted coloration. And, in my experience it's also been a great way to sell EE's. I had three EEs that had slate legs, muffs, beards, etc that I knew were mixed, but also came from a "breeder" claiming they were pure AM. All but one of them could have passed had I not known the difference.

Are the Roosters from the breeder as well? If so, there is no question she's mixed.

Back
Top Bottom