Wheezing and sleepy hen

Tmartin7711

Songster
Aug 22, 2020
Hello Everyone my Millie Calico Cochin (2 years old) is wheezing and sleeping alot. She was broody all winter so I moved her inside. After it got warm I put her back out, for about a week. It snowed and I took her back inside so she would stay warm. She is very lethargic, having a hard time breathing, and just sleeping unfortunately She also had a infestation of mites. Luckily I sprayed her and they are 90% dead today (I sprayed yesterday). She was wheezing and I have noticed for 2 days. Today I gave her some avian nose relief, and cleaned her nose. No more wheezing, and is breathing somewhat normal. Her face is very pale though. Poop is white with green chunks in it. She is sleeping now. I fed her some baby food, but she is just sleeping. Should I be doing anything else? I don't feel like she has a infection but I'm Just not sure what to do. Any advice?

This is what she looks like.

Attachments

• 16429772326868846982630079893142.jpg
    16429772326868846982630079893142.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 16429772531833690922453184850594.jpg
    16429772531833690922453184850594.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 4
I'm going to try to wring some more information out of you to get more clues.

Your location. Darnnit, it's darned important.

How cold did it get just before you brought her back indoors?

What condition is the coop in? By that I mean accumulated poop and how much ventilation to prevent bad air quality with ammonia buildup that can cause respiratory issues.

Have you checked her crop? https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Has she been laying? Any recent egg quality issues? Thin shells or shell-less eggs?

How long has her poop been white with green bits in it?

I'm going to try to wring some more information out of you to get more clues.

Your location. Darnnit, it's darned important.

How cold did it get just before you brought her back indoors?

What condition is the coop in? By that I mean accumulated poop and how much ventilation to prevent bad air quality with ammonia buildup that can cause respiratory issues.

Have you checked her crop? https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Has she been laying? Any recent egg quality issues? Thin shells or shell-less eggs?

How long has her poop been white with green bits in it?
I live in Utah
It just snowed, every other day was sunshine
My coop is in fabulous condition, it was cleaned out before she came back out, there is alot of ventilation even at night
Her crop is pretty empty I only felt some seed
No she has not been laying as she was broody
Poop looked like that for 2 days

How long since she finished being broody and how long all together was she broody? How cold does it get in the coop at night. It looks like Utah weather has been in the extreme lows at night.

Have you checked her weight? Has she lost much? While she was inside while broody, was she eating regularly, or was her appetite spare? Was she hatching eggs or just sitting on air?

Last edited:
I think she may have died of starvation and had a case of hypothermia from not consuming enough calories during the long stretch of broodiness.

If you ever have another chicken that you know has not been eating normally (green poop is a sign) and if the chicken has been exposed to below freezing temps in addition to not eating very much, then first thing you should try is warm sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda to counter stress from hypothermia and raise glucose to counter starvation.

I'm sorry we were too late to save her.

Back
Top Bottom