Wheezing Chickens(video) - Respiratory Panel NEGATIVE - What else?

I am so sorry. :hugs.
Contact these people and ask about having a necropsy done. Don't worry if you aren't close enough, they can tell you how to pack and ship deceased birds and will probably let you use their FedEx account number.
https://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/

That chicken died back in March...long gone, and I'm still fairly certain her aspiration was due to an impacted crop.

I used Zoologix to do a respiratory panel using tracheal swabs for the tests. They don't do necropsies.

I just got off the phone with them. You send in 3 tracheal swabs, I was concerned that they used each swab for a different test and what if one of them didn't have enough "sample" on them. I KNOW the second two I did were well coated, I could see it in the dark, but the first one I did I couldn't recall if I saw it was wet or not. They told me they basically run the tests 3 times, using each swab on all tests, in case one of the swabs doesn't have enough on it, and that they only need a small amount of matter to run the test, but do depend on me getting enough "sample". He said any test has the possibility of throwing a false negative, which is another reason they run it 3 times. All three runs came back negative.

I suppose I could still send one hen in to the state for a necropsy, but this has been going for months now without getting worse, no other symptoms, no other chickens are showing any sign of anything, and the tests came back negative.... At this point, a necropsy almost seems like overkill.

That chicken died back in March...long gone, and I'm still fairly certain her aspiration was due to an impacted crop.

I used Zoologix to do a respiratory panel using tracheal swabs for the tests. They don't do necropsies.

I just got off the phone with them. You send in 3 tracheal swabs, I was concerned that they used each swab for a different test and what if one of them didn't have enough "sample" on them. I KNOW the second two I did were well coated, I could see it in the dark, but the first one I did I couldn't recall if I saw it was wet or not. They told me they basically run the tests 3 times, using each swab on all tests, in case one of the swabs doesn't have enough on it, and that they only need a small amount of matter to run the test, but do depend on me getting enough "sample". He said any test has the possibility of throwing a false negative, which is another reason they run it 3 times. All three runs came back negative.

I suppose I could still send one hen in to the state for a necropsy, but this has been going for months now without getting worse, no other symptoms, no other chickens are showing any sign of anything, and the tests came back negative.... At this point, a necropsy almost seems like overkill.

I know this is old but if you're still around, how much did the test cost you?

Back
Top Bottom