Wheezing, difficulty walking and swollen abdomen, please help me heal my baby

Chicken mummies

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2019
We have an ex battery chicken that is getting poorly and we don't know why. She had flystrike just over 3 weeks ago and was fully healed but now she has swollen abdomen and walks like she is egg bound (but she has not laid in over 1 year). She is also wheezing and I'm worried. Tried to contact 3 vets but due to to covid getting nowhere. . .even my regular vet is not seeing in any clinic at the moment

How old is she? Does it feel like she's egg bound, is she just getting over a molt? Could she have a punctured air bag? Could you get a hold of any vets that you could explain your situation to?

She's 3 years old, no visible wounds anywhere. She has always had bad lungs since we rescued her due to the conditions she was kept in before. She came to us wheezing 2 years ago but we took her to the vet and he prescribed an antifungal and antibiotics. Since we got her, her breathing is bad during change of seasons, but she has never been this bad, hence why I am suspecting somethignelse. I felt for an egg but there isn't one. She is eating normally, so hoping pain is not bad

So. . . .4 Vets later and it seems to be peritonitis, which apparently is very common in ex battery hens. She has been on antibiotics since Tuesday and getting her daily lemongrass, pepper and lavender Epsom salt bath and is slowly getting better. . No longer walking penguin style ☺️. After Covid will try to spay her if she is better, she won't survive surgery right now. Will keep you in the loop

So. . . .4 Vets later and it seems to be peritonitis, which apparently is very common in ex battery hens. She has been on antibiotics since Tuesday and getting her daily lemongrass, pepper and lavender Epsom salt bath and is slowly getting better. . No longer walking penguin style ☺. After Covid will try to spay her if she is better, she won't survive surgery right now. Will keep you in the loop
I'm so glad to hear that! I'm also happy to hear you're using some natural methods! Thank you!:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom