Wheezing sneezing hen

Dazzalino

Chirping
Apr 17, 2015
Oakland, CA
hello,

I have a 31/2 year old Australorp, Sophie, who does not seems to be doing well. We noticed yesterday afternoon. Her crop is empty so I don’t think she’s eating. She doesn’t seem to want water either. She sounds like she’s wheezing/snoring when she breathes. It gets progressively worse and then she sneezes and seems better. Her poop is a bit mucousy. I have removed her from the flock, though I’m worried that is more stressful for her, I’ve put her where she can see them. The others all seem fine. Her comb is a little pale but not white. None of the flock have layed any eggs which is really bizarre (unless they’ve taken to eating them). I’m planning to bring her to the vet, but any advice? If she needs antibiotics do I give them to the entire flock? Anyone had a girl recover?

The only other thing to add is that we put diatomaceous earth in their coop this weekend to fend off some ants. We’ve done it before and it was fine.

Sorry about your hen. Is she molting at this time? Hens who have been molting may have pale combs and not lay for a couple of months. How long have you had her? Can you feel of her lower belly to check for any swelling or enlargement? She might have a respiratory issue or disease, so look for any eye bubbles, swelling, or nasal drainage.

I would place her back with the other chickens to see if she will eat and drink better, but if they pick on her, she might need to be in a dog crate where she can see them. A vet can check her droppings for worms and parasites while you are there. Valbazen or SafeGuard are good for worming.

Antibiotics should only be given if there is a bacterial respiratory disease or an intestinal infection. If there is coccidiosis, Corid can help and is not an AB. Here is a good link to read with symptoms of these respiratory diseases, such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom