Wheezing sneezing rooster

proudmommie31

Songster
Mar 2, 2016
Northern Lower MI
This morning when I let the chickens out I noticed the Rooster is wheezing with every breath and unable to crow (he sounds like he’s being strangled). His eyes are clear, he is running all over, hopping up on their logs, chasing other chickens, eating, preening etc.
They have a 80sq coop and a 450 sq foot run, both with deep litter, and usually free range half the day. Plenty of access to fresh water and food. Last night we got tons of rain, and while they were dry there was a lot of moisture in the air and it’s chilly out this am. (They have large open windows that haven’t been shut for the year yet). If he stays active and eating is there anything I should do but keep an eye on him?

He may be suffering from a respiratory disease, such as a virus, bacterial, or fungal disease, brought on by the change in weather. Infectious bronchitis, MG or mycoplasma, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis are some of the common diseases.

Antibiotics may help signs of MG or coryza, but the others do not respond to viruses or mold fungus. I would offer him water often, and add a lot of water to a bowl of chicken feed (keep adding a little water to keep it thin,) which would get more fluids into him.

Probiotics (a tsp of plain greek yogurt, a bit of buttermilk, or probios powder) added to food once or twice a week can help his gut bacteria stay normal. If you need an antibiotic if he gets eye bubbles, swollen or pus in eyes) or worse, Tylan 50 injectable (but given orally,) can be helpful. Here is a good link that gives symptoms of the listed illnesses above:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I went out this am and gave him some yogurt and cottage cheese while the new batch of fermented feed was getting mixed up (they have been on dry food for a few days). Couple hours later his crow is about 70% recovered and he is “attacking the girl chickens momma”........so he seems to be feeling better :gig

He may be suffering from a respiratory disease, such as a virus, bacterial, or fungal disease, brought on by the change in weather. Infectious bronchitis, MG or mycoplasma, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis are some of the common diseases.

Antibiotics may help signs of MG or coryza, but the others do not respond to viruses or mold fungus. I would offer him water often, and add a lot of water to a bowl of chicken feed (keep adding a little water to keep it thin,) which would get more fluids into him.

Probiotics (a tsp of plain greek yogurt, a bit of buttermilk, or probios powder) added to food once or twice a week can help his gut bacteria stay normal. If you need an antibiotic if he gets eye bubbles, swollen or pus in eyes) or worse, Tylan 50 injectable (but given orally,) can be helpful. Here is a good link that gives symptoms of the listed illnesses above:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
How do you administer the Tylan 50 orally? I have the same issue.

You will need a 3 ml syringe and needle (18 or 20 gauge.) Remove the needle to given orally a drop or two at a time. Dosage is 0.25 or 1/4 ml per pound 2-3 times daily for up to 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom