when are these silly wyandottes going to start laying?!

curiositykt

Songster
8 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Marlborough MA
I have 5 chickens. 4 Wyandottes and one easter egger. They are all 24 weeks old. The easter egger started laying around 22 weeks (BROWN EGGS?!
barnie.gif
) And now we are not so patiently waiting for the rest.. And they don't seem interested at all in laying. The easter egger started squatting around 21 weeks, so far not a single wyandotte has considered that an option. They are otherwise huge and healthy looking. Their waddles and combs are nice and red. They are all probably around 5 pounds or so. They appear in all regards to be full size chickens..... I know wyandottes develop slower, but how much slower? and do they generally exhibit the same behaviors as the other breeds? My easter egger is a sneaky layer. She doesn't make a peep. Doesn't announce at all, she just sneaks off to the nest box when no one is looking and quietly lays an egg and then rejoins the group.

Well, this egg business is not an exact science to be sure! Have you seen any of them show interest in the boxes at all? Do they free range during the early part of the day? If so, they may be laying out in the yard somewhere.

As for the brown egg, why so upset? It is just a coloring on the outside of the shell. The insides are exactly the same as the white ones... If it really bothers you, you can sand it off with some 220 grit sandpaper.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom