When can ducklings be moved outside ?

kyron4

Chirping
Apr 9, 2019
Northern Indiana
I have 3 Indian runner, 3 kaki cambells , and 3 Cayugas that are around 4 weeks old ( I think the Cayugas are closer to2 1/2 to 3 weeks). They are rapidly out growing their 4'x4' indoor brooder. I'd like to move them to the barn in a 8'x8' pen with a heat lamp. Highs are hovering in the low to mid 50's with lows around 30* to 40* at night. Will it be okay to move them at this age ? Also, at what age or temp. can they be put in an outdoors pen during the day without a heat source ? -Thanks

Do they have their adult feathers yet? No firsthand knowledge myself, but most people here and other places have said that as long as the temp doesn't go below 50 degrees Farenheit (11 degrees Celsius), they should be okay outside.

The ducklings this small will go right through the fence so you really need something like cardboard up until they get too big to get through the fence holes.
gUBGWj23R5qAbb0KEdhSvw.jpg

This bottom picture was a rush/panic setup after my little 4 week old got killed by a huge king snake in the big outside pen. I moved them quickly into the porch and just put cardboard up all around the big pool. I think this pool is one size bigger than the picture above. It really works just fine and they stayed in it another week or 2 until I dared put them back outside.
IMG_6558.JPG

Back
Top Bottom