When can ducklongs have their first swim?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mccluckers, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Hello I have just got some call ducks and was wondering if they can have their first swim one is 3 days old and the other is 1.5 days?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have a cake pan [rectangle] and a nice warm bathroom? put some warm water about 80-85* about half way up then put your babies in, stay right with them and don't let the water cool ,after they have come out pat dry with a small wash cloth or towel then right back under heat lamp. You will love watching them play in the water.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They are pretty young, personally i would wait, while ducklings can and do go in the water @ that aging it is better that be done with young who are with their mother their natural oils do improve the waterproofing of the ducklings.

I think my baby calls were about 2wks before i did tubby time and i did exactly as ML said, ensured the room was warm, and the babies were well dried and had access to heat afterwards, chill is a top killer of young.

Mine used to dive in my bath tub lol

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks Going Quackers for posting I think going by GQ's advise would be better since she has Calls and has the experience. .

Pics when you can..

5. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    When duckling are that young you can still put in water just make sure there not waterlogged and are dried off with a towel and is under a heat lamp. I do This all the time with any duck breeds. I make sure they can touch the bottom. It will let them do what's natural. Too much water can hurt them though so a few minutes for This age is is fineIt then increase the time when they get older. But This is just what I do. Have fun with you ducklings

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    I always put mine in the sink on their second day when there dried off and beginning to get active

7. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Ok thanks guys .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by