WHEN CAN I EXPECT TO GET EGGS?

nannie

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
mineral virginia
I got my girls march 2.2013.I have 3 red-sex links & 2 tetra-tints.I am still feeding them chick feed.I have been reading a lot of info from BYC saying not to feed laying pellets till I see 1st egg.I am wondering when that might be?

I got my girls march 2.2013.I have 3 red-sex links & 2 tetra-tints.I am still feeding them chick feed.I have been reading a lot of info from BYC saying not to feed laying pellets till I see 1st egg.I am wondering when that might be?
Depends on the chicken breed and many other factors but around 20-27 weeks. Have fun! I don't know about tetra-tints but the sex links will probably be your first layers.

It surely should come soon, as already said it depends on the breed there is no need to worry it's probably on its way!

Hey Ceara!
welcome-byc.gif

Nannie, start feeding your birds some small scraps, like baked beans. This is a tip I learnt from my Grandmother. Hold the chicken and find its pelvic bones (where the legs start) If she is in or close to laying then there will be a gap of about three fingers.

Do you have a loud pet? The stress of dogs or even foxes scratching at their coop will delay the egg laying even in mature birds. It's a natural reflex because the chickens do not want to bring a chick into the world if there is danger.

Do you have a cockerel? The eggs will be fertile if so. I have found from personal experience that you should collect the eggs in the early morning and eat them that day. If they are left then the chick can start to form (not a full-blown chick, more like a red blob with lots of veins coming from) and the chalazae are more visible which aren't the most aesthetic of things.

Good luck and good laying!

Feeding layers' pellets after about 8 weeks should be fine. I bought 9 Light Sussex pullets, 10 weeks old and they have been fed layers' pellets since I've had them, and they are coming on brilliantly! Nearly 25 weeks now and they are bigger than the Warrens! I also give Jack the rooster chick crumb sometimes as he doesn't really need the nutrients necessary to produce eggs. He does lay eggs, unfortunately they are small, black, smelly and don't taste every good. ;)

Back
Top Bottom