When can I give my chicks treats and what are the best ones?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueberrylu, May 6, 2009.

1. blueberrylu

blueberrylu Chillin' With My Peeps

We have several sussex and bantam orpingtons chicks that are about 3 weeks old. At what age can we give them treats (they are only on chick feed right now) and what would be good treats to give them? Also--do they need grit even though they are on the chick feed and still in their indoor pen and not outside yet? Thanks

2. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    You should make sure they have grit before you give them treats. I put some on the floor and right into their feed. I gave mine some bread ( not much), dry oatmeal, chopped up lettuce, chopped up celery, rice crispies, crushed cheerios. If you don't give them grit, they will get impacted crop and die. I let them eat treats right out of my hand and now they come running all the time. Good Luck,, Woody

3. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    I thought I saw on the chick starter feed that grit was included in the mix. Does anyone have a bag of starter feed in front of them and can correct me if I am wrong?

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  5. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    YOUGURT!

Baby chicks LOVE yougurt.

I put a smidge of peanutbutter and very fine cooked oatmeal in it. They lick the plates when they are done!

6. apostoliclady

apostoliclady Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I checked on my feed, and I don't see grit in there. Is 3 weeks too young to start them on grit? If not, how soon after should I wait to give them treats?

7. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    But if they were outside being raised by their Mom, wouldn't they already be scratching, and eating dirt/sand/etc.? I wouldn't think grit or a pan of sand would hurt them at any age.

8. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:Do you give them plain yogurt or is flavored / sweetened ok?

9. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    plain is best, as too much sugar can upset their little digestive systems.

10. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Quote:Mine wont touch the stuff, they wont eat chopped up egg either....go figure:confused:

update- Tried the egg again the next day and they went psycho over it. Still don't like yogurt though.

Last edited: May 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by