When can I put baby chicks in a new coop and coop placement in yard?

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
We are new to chickens - kind of! We had bantams years ago, but are now getting larger birds, i.e. 15 of them including orpingtons, black star, gold and silver laced Wyandottes, etc. Our coop is coming the 2nd week in Sept (a 6x12 combo, i.e. 6x6 coop and 6x6 covered pen - a stock photo of the coop is attached - the only difference is we are getting a black metal roof). Our chicks will arrive the last week in Sept. We are in PA, so we’ll hopefully have mild weather until early November.

My question is: how long should we raise the babies in the house, or can we raise them in the enclosed 6x6 section of the coop - with a heat lamp, etc.?

My 2nd question is in regards to placement of the coop - we have an area picked out, closer to the house, but nowhere near tree coverage for natural shade. We do not have any location on our property that has shade trees, except the front yard and the side - but the side is low lying and on the wet side. We plan on planting some trees near the coop, but it will be sometime before they provide adequate shade.

Excited about our endeavor and appreciate any and all input!! Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

Attachments

• ED2628BD-2E32-41A0-A79F-4F21F2958D39.jpeg
    ED2628BD-2E32-41A0-A79F-4F21F2958D39.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 28
Welcome to BYC! Yes you can raise them in the coop! With 15, I'd hate to have them in the house! Good luck w coop placement...not sure what to say about that.
I look forward to seeing photos of your new chickens!
Sue

MHP is just a heating pad rigged to a stand or frame to allow chicks to snuggle under it. The chicks use it when they feel chilly, otherwise they should be running around their brooding area. Much less risk of overheating the chicks, plus it also gives them a natural day and night cycle.

Now the bad news about your coop... if you're planning to keep all 15 chicks, it's not large enough. The coop itself should be about 60 sq ft, more if you're in a climate where you get extended snow, and the run portion of it isn't large enough to serve as a run full time, you'd need at least 150 sq ft, more would be preferable. Are you planning to free range them?

MHP is just a heating pad rigged to a stand or frame to allow chicks to snuggle under it. The chicks use it when they feel chilly, otherwise they should be running around their brooding area. Much less risk of overheating the chicks, plus it also gives them a natural day and night cycle.

Now the bad news about your coop... if you're planning to keep all 15 chicks, it's not large enough. The coop itself should be about 60 sq ft, more if you're in a climate where you get extended snow, and the run portion of it isn't large enough to serve as a run full time, you'd need at least 150 sq ft, more would be preferable. Are you planning to free range them?

Thanks for the reply! We are planning on building a pen/fenced area around the entire coop - so they would be free ranging. They would only be ‘inside’ when we are away for a weekend or on a week vacation. Still too small? It is rated for 18-20 chickens.

15 is the minimum order from Murray McMcMurray - we wanted to get 10.

And what are you thoughts on it being in full sun all day? Eventually we’ll be adding plants and trees around it, but they will take some time to offer shade.

Thoughts?

Yes, still too small. The minimum size recommendations are just that: MINIMUM. If you crowd your birds, I can guarantee that you will have problems associated with crowding: aggression, feather picking, possibly blood shed, even cannibalism. Stressed chickens (from crowding) are chickens who are autoimmune compromised and more prone to disease and parasites, both internal and external. Add to that, the increased difficulty of managing the copious amounts of poop, and the excess moisture and ammonia created by having too many chickens in a too small environment. It's not a matter of IF these problems crop up, but WHEN these problems crop up. Especially, when starting a new flock, I advise you to provide even more than the minimum space allotments.

Now that I've rained on your parade, welcome to BYC. MHP system rocks. If you can provide electricity to your coop, that is by far the best place to brood your chicks. I suggest that you put your coop close enough to the house so that tending the flock during winter snow storms won't be as much of an issue. It's also a good idea to have lots of shade, especially with that black roof. Recommended ventilation: 1 s.f./bird or an area = to 10% of floor space, which ever number is greater.

The problem with the coop claiming that it's good for up to 20 is that they're using factory conditions to calculate space, which isn't what most backyard flock keepers would want since the goal is usually eggs and meat from happy, healthy chickens.

As far as shade, since it'll take time for trees or shrubs to grow, another option to help with shade would be some sort of shade cloth. I don't have experience with using them myself but I've seen people on here mention having good success with them. Since you mentioned enclosing the entire coop build with a fence maybe you can take that into consideration and either tether tarps or shade cloth onto the fence or have supports to help hold it up to provide shade.

The problem with the coop claiming that it's good for up to 20 is that they're using factory conditions to calculate space, which isn't what most backyard flock keepers would want since the goal is usually eggs and meat from happy, healthy chickens.

As far as shade, since it'll take time for trees or shrubs to grow, another option to help with shade would be some sort of shade cloth. I don't have experience with using them myself but I've seen people on here mention having good success with them. Since you mentioned enclosing the entire coop build with a fence maybe you can take that into consideration and either tether tarps or shade cloth onto the fence or have supports to help hold it up to provide shade.

Yes, I was considering some sort of shade ‘sail’ for in front of it. We are considering putting it on the other side of the yard where it is shaded, but it’s low-lying so a tad soggy after a rain.

Rethinking the coop size - calling the company I ordered the chicks from to see if I can get less, I didn’t really want 15, but that’s their minimum order. Don’t know of anyone local that sells them .... I’m in Bucks County (PA)

You can probably resell extra chicks if you didn't want 15, or split them with a neighbor or family member.

Maybe a photo of the possible coop areas would help? Shade is good (though I don't know your climate to know how important it might be) but low lying or boggy areas are bad too, unless you can add some sort of drainage to help dry it out. It'll get stinky if it's often wet.

Back
Top Bottom