When can I safely integrate a baby Silkie?

wilsonloria

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
Tomball, Texas
I have a one month old Silkie who has been separated in my coop with her (I hope) momma. I let them mingle a little when I free range (supervised) and they all basically ignored her. I stepped away to fill a feeder and came back to an injury behind her neck that was bleeding. I don't know what happened but guess someone pecked her. I have 2 roosters and 8 hens who are about 10 months old. I cleaned her injury and have been putting triple antibiotic ointment on it. She seems to be fine. What is a safe age to let her join the flock? Thank you!!!

I have a one month old Silkie who has been separated in my coop with her (I hope) momma. I let them mingle a little when I free range (supervised) and they all basically ignored her. I stepped away to fill a feeder and came back to an injury behind her neck that was bleeding. I don't know what happened but guess someone pecked her. I have 2 roosters and 8 hens who are about 10 months old. I cleaned her injury and have been putting triple antibiotic ointment on it. She seems to be fine. What is a safe age to let her join the flock? Thank you!!!

Wait until she is about the same size as the other silkies. It's good to use the "through the fence" intro style. They get to know each other for a few weeks before they can touch each other. They can start re establishing a pecking order even before they meet beak to beak.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom